how do i make sure spiders do not get inside the home?

as i was leaving the bedroom with my 10 month old daughter i looked behind me as some thing caught the corner of my eye. it was a spider, (A REALLY LARGE BSTARD) it was also really REALLY fast and it was running in my direction.

how is this possible i thought spiders instintivly ran away from humans?? its body was bigger then mu thumb nail.

how do i make sure no ore spiders get in my house

im live in co. carlow in Ireland

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

simple answer is you cant! they would still get in no matter what you done, i think if you are that scared of them you should maybe seek therapy to help you overcome your fear!.

• 1 decade ago

Reduction of harborage is where I would start.

Most spiders prefer to inhabit areas with lots of nooks and crannies to hide in, so perform a thorough inspection of your home and throw out those old Deep Purple LP's and boxes of junk you really don't need. Ok, maybe keep the Deep Purple LP's.

Check the exterior of your home also. Heavy overhead canopy can be a problem because arboreal spiders will just drop onto your roof and find a way in through gaps in gable vents, or soffits, or utility conduit exits.

If possible, trim back the trees so that very little foliage is overhanging the home directly and don't forget the ornamental shrubs at the base of the home, if you have them. Trim them or move them so that the drip line of the foliage is at least 24 inches away from the base of your home.

Keep eaves and window frames clear of spider webs and caulk or seal any visible gaps to discourage an unwanted tenant in them.

Reduce exterior lighting to that which is only necessary for personal safety and security. Be sure that excessive amounts of light aren't penetrating the windows and attracting spider food. (insects).

Lastly, use an appropriately labeled pesticide and apply it according to the label instructions or hire a professional to do it for you.

Source(s): 20 years experience in the field of Urban Pest Management http://jugglingapples.com
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its all in your mind - they are as afraid of you as you are of them. Eliminating them is not an option - just live and let live.

When you see one, hold your ground - it is very unlikely it will crawl on you because it can't take your body heat. It will do one of the following:

1 run under a sofa or crevice

2 stop

if 1, there is nothing you can do

if 2, get a pint glass or similar and plonk it over the spider, slide a piece of paper underneath and evict it.

Whatever you do, PLEASE DON'T KILL SPIDERS - they do no harm and actually can be very beneficial.

Spiders are very welcome guests in my house - I'd rather have spiders than flies any day - the bigger they are the more efficient they have been controlling the buzzing flying little b'stards that you can't even catch.

• 1 decade ago

They have lived side by side with humans ever since we began to construct dwellings - and they will always do so. Console yourself with the fact that they won't harm us and may get rid of some unpleasant insects. Unlike house flies, spiders do not carry disease.

If desperate, play some Cliff Richard hits. Unfortunately however, you may flee the house before the spiders do!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I absolutely hate th things also...disgusting critters they are!!!!

I haven't had any in th house now for ages thank god but i think you can get a plug-in thing that makes a noise (silent to humans) that annoys them n keeps them away...now I know I've definitely I've heard of it being used for mice n rats but i'm not 100% sure about insects!

Goodluck!!!

• 1 decade ago

You would have to find their source of getting in. You could put boriax around your house. With a baby, it would be hard to put that in the house. 5 tablespoons of a natural soap, can buy in pharmacies, and 5 tablespoons of an essential oil to per quart of water in a spray bottle can kill them. The oils, rose, citrus, lavender, citronella, tea tree, one of these. If you can, put lemon pledge on window sills and door frames.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.