yournamehere asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Why are black male dogs the last to be adopted at shelters?

A rescue volunteer was pleased to hear that I adopted two black/brownish dogs from a shelter because he said they were the last to be adopted at shelters. Also, is it true that puppies sometimes are euthanized? :(

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Yes, it's true, because people are "afraid" of black or brown dogs. Plus they tend not to photograph well so they don't show up well on adoption websites.

When I found a pair of strays (black intact male Lab, brown neutered Lab mix), both adults, I knew that if I brought them to the shelter they had maybe a 10% chance of coming out again... that's why we fostered them to find them a new home.

• 1 decade ago

Yes puppies will be euthanized along w/ older dogs, it may be because they've been there for a long time, they are mean like a threat to anyone, or because the shelters are too crowded, i don't think people should euthanize if the shelter is too full or if they've been there a while, that's why i'm going to work at non-kill shelters, also, the non-kill shelters will sometimes save the pups or dogs about to be killed.

• 1 decade ago

people generally prefer females, young puppies, small dogs, and purebreds..

A large, black, mixed breed adult male is ussually the last to go.. they are so common.. many people want a "pretty little white dog" or chose based on some other color or markings that stand out.. some people are afraid of black dogs.

Yes, even puppies are euthanized at shelters.

• thing
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I think that might not be a universal thing. Collies and lurchers are the last to be adopted where I live, big black male labs etc are more likely to be taken. I can understand why black dogs might be difficult- it's hard to take good photos of them.

Yes, puppies are sometimes euthanised if there's no demand for them and/or if they're too young to be taken care of in a busy shelter.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, puppies are sometimes euthanized. It all depends on how crowded the shelter is and how healthy/adoptable the puppies are.

I have also heard the statistic that black dogs are least likely to be adopted.

http://www.brightlion.com/InHope/InHope_en.aspx

• 3 years ago

Zeus & Titan Shameless & Macho Bubba & Punk Cruiser & Harley Thunder & Lightning Tiny & Midget Ask your Vet approximately advice on the nutrition. they are in a position to at times improve too rapid on primary doggy chow, that could reason hip & knee issues. frequently some thing formulated for huge breed domestic canines. in basic terms right of success. intense-high quality of you to grant them a sturdy residing house!

• 1 decade ago

maybe they think their ugly

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.