Can Black people be racist against white people?

Broadly speaking I'm researching racism and its origins.

What i found interesting is that racism is a fairly recent abhorrence, that really only goes back as far as the African slave trade.

Prior to the slave trade all were regarded pretty much as equal. For example in the age of Rome while people of course were slaves, anyone could become a slave as anyone had the potential to rise up to high office, colour wasn't really an issue.

Four hundred years of African slavery, of treating one race as an inferior i think is still in the subconscious of most white people (i myself am white and English) . Though the UK was one of the main protagonists in ending slavery there is obviously still racism in the Uk as there is everywhere else.

Now I could keep blabbering on for hours on this, but i'm just wondering while black people have a justifiable reason to feel angry about the slave trade it doesn't mean they are racist against white people.......

I was thinking of asking a few black friends of mine about this but, its obviously a sensitive issue so i ask all of you first.

Best Answer

Nothing can justify (present day) racism just as nothing can justify the crime of murder. The past, present circumstance, provocation, character of victim.... might explain but not justify the act.

Unfortunately, we can not regulate and legislate "feelings" and "thinking". So there are open bigots and closet racists.

Yes, because they have been among those victimised longest, blacks do tend to get away with a lot more racism than others.

I have found many of them to be particularly racist towards Asians/Indians/Hispanics. In some instances, a few black friends have admitted to me that they would rather have someone else at the "bottom of the ladder" so to speak. Also, they discriminate among themselves on the basis of skin-color shade (colorism).

edit: I mention (present day) racism as distinct from the historical racism purely from an academic point of view.

Can they be racist ? Of course they can be, and often are.

Should they be racist ? Of course not. Like I said before, nothing can justify that.

It seems to me that any race can feel hostility towards another. It's not just blacks and whites...it's everyone.

I understand what you're saying but I think it wrong not to consider the whole picture. The reasons for racism may not be justifiable. It might be there because of what a person learned in life. There are a million reasons.

I'm not a racist and I have friends of all races. I enjoy talking about subjects such as this because I feel I can learn a great deal about other cultures. My friends agree and we have some long-out conversations about this. We all end up learning something.

EMT

Yes anyone can be racist. White people were just first in that segment. They still are and do racist things such as giving unequal trading rights to african countries or telling middle eastern countries that their democratically elected leader needs to be changed (since white people are the supreme race only they know what's right so they run everything their way.). The reason black people in the stereotypical ghetto hate white people is because the only white people they see are cops and teachers and they both treat the kids like cr*p as does the government and school boards.

• Yes, being Black and living in such communities I know this to be true, just remember also that there is a difference between being a white supremacist and a white racist. The same goes for black people, but you are unlikely to find extremist black Supremacist Group(not that there are lots of white SG's!). Most of the lingering racism problem has a lot more to do with cultural differences and failure to address these than anything else. I have heard lot of " its because he is white", " These white people they are all like that", etc from black or non white communities.

Being racist also has another form within similar color groups and is more commonly known as tribalism.

So relax, you have nothing to fear on that front. The current problem has to do with a lot of overdue cultural corrections history books, world economic policies and how the western world views the world and its place within.

For instance: Who discovered the Victoria falls?

The answer to that question should make you think!

In order to determine whether a Black person can be racist, we must first define racism.

According to Dr. Claud Anderson, "racism exists only when one group holds a disproportionate share of wealth and power over another group then uses those resources to marginalize, exploit, exclude and subordinate the weaker group."

Black people do not hold "a disproportionate share of wealth and power over another group." Nor do Black people[in America] posess the ability to "marginalize, exploit, exclude and subordinate" another group.

Therefore a Black person can not be racist.

• Josie4 years agoReport

I disagree with this. For example, one way white people can be excluded sometimes is when we dance. Just because we are "white" we can't dance. Therefore, we are ( sometimes, I know we aren't excluded a lot of the time)"excluded" which fits into your definition of racism.

No, black people can't be racist because we're the victims of racism.

• Josie4 years agoReport

Please, leave and take your invalid statement with you.

Yes, it's reasonable to believe one as

inferior, when they're complexion or intelligence

isn't similar to yours.

When I was a child, people always told me

I was smarter than my friend.

Now my friend has a higher G.P.A. than I do;

which befuddles me, because I always believed

strongly I was smarter.

I guess, these thing tie into racism.

Once someone says you are superior, you

feel on top of the world, and strong.

I was on top of the world, at the time.

Unfortunate for me, I had a reality check soon

enough.

Yes they can and many are, but I wish they weren't. I didn't choose to be white. No one in my family history ever owned a slave. No one in America who ever owned a slave is even alive. My Grandmother came over from Ireland when she was 16 years old. Her ticket was paid so she agreed to the price. She was an Indentured Servant. She was a slave for 7 years to repay the the person who bought the ticket. They didn't pay her, they could beat her any time they wanted and they did. That was after slavery was abolished. Thank God those days are over in this country, but it still continues. Little children and woman get kidnapped and sold for slaves every day.it's so sad.

This is true. Racism is systematic and was needed to aid in the system of slavery & stratification of groups. If you read some of what white explorers documented after visiting black nations/kingdoms (back in the day) you'd be surprised at the positivity of their statements.

Black people ran things back in the day. Much of what we do/use today was invented by blacks in Africa/Middle East...such as the alphabet.

I think it's easy to accept ideas that were passed down from generation to generation. I do challenge people to think about your question/statements above. Change history by accepting all ethnicities.We have something to learn from each & every one of them. Pass that down to your kids & grandkids. Go to your grave accomplishing something big.

Source(s): Insight

Can Blacks Be Racist