mmc
mmc asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 1 decade ago

Why are swear words, swear words?

Like, what makes them so much worse then cat or dog?

Just wondering :)

I am sure, the bible doesn't say especially

that sh'it is a swear word.

Favorite Answer

Think about what they mean:

Fxck - is that a nice way to describe what should be two people who care deeply for each other making love? I think not. xD

Sh-t - Trash. Do you want to be referred to as what's in your garbage can? I sure don't. LOL. :]

B-tch - A female dog. Why would anybody want to be referred to as that? I don't know about you, but I don't.

As- - Do you want to be called a butt? Ahah.

The list goes on and on, but the point is, if you analyse their meaning, none of them are pleasant. However, some, if used in their proper context, are not "bad" words. Such as the word b-tch to describe an actual female dog.

=]

Source(s): Annaleigh's mommy. ♥
  • They do have meanings. Lots of meanings and lots of connotations. They are useful words in the right situation. Those being: to express or invoke emotion, to create shock value, to make a statement sound hilarious. Considering the fact that you are at a level in school that forbids swearing, they are probably being used primarily for the second reason. And that is simply immature. You shouldn't use them in school because it's disrespectful to the adults, the fellow students, and the entire establishment. And you should care because respect is vital to social success. Meaning: you will have more friends and influence if you are respectful of everyone. So use swear words only when it is truly meaningful and appropriate. I don't know why adults have such a hard time explaining this. They would rather just say, "No! Because I said so."

A really deep question. In my culture the swear words are always genitalia and copulation related, and some animals, and we always believe they have something do to with the way we look at sex, and the psychology behind it is we think sex is sacrilegious; but truth be told, how did they ended up to have those meanings are hard for contemporary users to figure out. In English is much the same way. Maybe you should search the origin of the words and see how they changes through the history. Are you planning on writing a thesis on this? Maybe worth a PhD.

I've always wondered that! I guess its because society tells us that those words are 'bad' ...like I can say tons of swear words in spanish and my parents will be like "don't say that!" but it doesn't have any effect on me because i didn't grow up in an environment where society said those words were bad.

Its kind of the same thing with this.. like its "inappropriate" to see a girl in her underwear, but you can go to the beach or pool parties or whatever, and its covering the same amount of skin. but that is acceptable and the other is not.

i've always wondered about those things.. :)

The Butterfly Effect is so completely wrong it's not even funny.

The Bible says we shouldn't curse our neighbors, but makes no mention of that curse being a specific word.

Swear words come from long, long ago. A lower class of people used certain words that the upper class looked down on them for (though I'm not sure why), hence them being 'unacceptable' to use.

Source(s): HS history teacher!

The bible doesn't say anything about it! That's bullsh*t.

Um anyway, I don't know. Personally I don't find many that offensive, other than words like f*ck, c*nt etc.

Oh my gosh I was just wondering about that.

It's like, why aren't people saying "mustard" instead of "sh*t". And like, who decides if those words are considered swears?

BTW, a star for you!

Its how they have been used. People started saying them to show that they displeased with something and it ended up becoming a swear word. Like crap or shut up will probably end up becoming some too.

Source(s): mom of one and pregnant with another

Technically speaking, the only swear word is taking God's name in vain (that is if you believe in Him), the other is just bad language. It always amazes me how many people get that messed up and how many religious people always want to put the God spin on things.

Source(s): I love dogs, I have a yellow lab.
  • O.o

It's derogatory the way they are used, I guess.

A profanity will have an original meaning (which may change across time and language) which in itself may give some cause for offense. Additionally, many profanities will have applied meanings of their own, usually associated to their context and which therefore may vary significantly depending upon the intended purpose of the word in the sentence.

That is what wiki said, so I dunno if that helps or not.°

Source(s): wikipedia.com