Is this fiction or nonfiction?

Okay, so I wrote a short story for a regional writing contest but I don't know whether to enter it as fiction or creative nonfiction. The story is about a girl's struggle with anorexia, but it focuses more on a real struggle with anorexia than with the girl, and does not include any specific events. Basically, the only fiction involved is the girl herself because I made her up and the hospital setting. The rest is a real struggle of an anorexic. So what category should I enter it in? Please help!

Best Answer

It's fiction. Just because there are real aspects doesn't make the story true.

It's fiction. Creative nonfiction would be if you wrote about a true event like the civil war and told it from the third person point of view without changing any events from what really happened.

It's a fictionalized story. No matter how close to real fact, you have fictionalized it by making up the main character.

Fiction, even if it is based on actual events, or is a composite of real events.

I would only enter a piece as nonfiction is I were trying to convey an accurate account of something.

Well, if the majority of it is fiction, then I would enter in as a fiction story. I hoped I helped!<3=D

I'd enter it as fiction. While the subject material is very real (and more power to you for writing about something like that!), the central character is fictional.

Hmm that's quite difficult...

I would say fiction, because you choose to write a story about it, and it isn't based on an exact, particular event which has happened. You could say it's fiction based on fact maybe.

Health Fiction, because you made up the story.

fiction because even though most of it is real the made up girl makes it fiction

Fiction, because you made it up. Nonfiction is anything that ACTUALLY happened. Fiction is just everything else...

Source(s): I read a lot of books!