c-section delivery..?

I am 26 weeks pregnant and i was wondering if you can choose to have a c section rather than vaginal delivery i hear neg./pos. things about them.This is my first child..

No good doctor who practices ethically will do a c-section without a valid medical reason which would make a vaginal delivery too risky. You might hear about celebrities being about to do it, but that's because when you wave enough money around you can make it happen. But in the REAL WORLD, no, elective c-sections are not an option. Nor should they be. They come with their own risks, healing time is much longer, etc. A vaginal birth is what's safest for you and your child unless there are other conditions which would warrant a c-section.

Source(s): RN, OB, L&D

Discuss it with your Dr. Most won't unless it's really necessary. But you never know.

I had a C-Section because my son was breech. I really wanted one anyways to I was happy. I didn't want to have all that pain and pushing. The recovery wasn't all that bad. I was in the hospital for 4 days. I really felt like I could have gone home, but they wouldn't let me. I was connected to IV's for a day. They said they took the morphine pump off of me because I wasn't using it. They seemed kind of concerned that I wasn't using any pain meds or asking for any. The pain wasn't so bad I needed any.

My friend had a C-Section in a different hospital. She was up and walking within a few hours.

I'm sure everyone's experience is different. I would never go through labor. If I had the choice it would definately be C-Section.

Don't let anyone tell you that you're less of a mother for not going through labor. That is just a load of crap. I don't care how the baby gets to you. You will still love it and be a great mom.

• Tidgie

A good Dr. won't perform a C-section unless it's medically necessary.

Almost all insurance companies also won't cover an elective c section.

C sections carry more and larger risks than a vaginal delivery, and require longer recovery time.

I had one because my son was double footling breech and his chances of surviving a vaginal delivery at his position and size was slim. But if I was given a choice, I would have gone vaginal.

i think you can but it depends on your doctor to be honest. Just so you know there are negatives and positives for c-sections as well. I mean you are getting you muscles cut through to deliver your child and you actually recover faster via vaginal. I think unless you are having a breech baby or have a high risk pregnancy you may not be able to. But if your doctor is scissor happy you might get lucky. I personally know too many people who would rather deliver natural how its meant to be. All those staples to the stomach and more risk for infection...i would avoid it. Which ever way you go ..good luck and congrats on the baby!

You can tell the doctor how you feel about having a c-section. I had 2 c-sections and I am going in for another one on July 31st with baby number 3 ... : ) Both of my previous c-sections were emergency ones, so with this one my doctor said that I have to go through with another one because of the other ones. I wish I was able to go through labor and what not. But then again I don't know if I would be able to take the pain. But I would run it past your doctor and see what he/she says.

• im having my 2nd child at the end of september and this birth will be a c-section also. my son in 5 1/2 now but he was born via emergency c-section cause he was in distress and plus im too small to deliver vaginally. if you have a cool dr she just might let you have 1, or if she feels that your baby is in danger you will probably have 1. as for me i have decided that this will be my last child and so once the baby is out i will be having my tubes tied. it takes a little longer to recover after the surgery, but i had a fast recovery time was fast cause nobody could keep me sitting down cause im so used to being able to take care of business and do what i needed to do. well i hope everything works out for you and congratulations on your lil bundle of joy.

Source(s): personal experience

You can choose to have a c-section but I think a vaginal birth would be your best option. It is a less painful recovery, as well as a faster recovery. I am pregnant with twins and I insist on delivering vaginally, unless complications arise that prevent me from doing so.

• Pippin

No, you usually can't just choose to have unnecessary major surgery. (And I can't imgine any GOOD doctor agreeing to do it.)

But ... talk to your doctor and check with your insurance company. And IF it's allowed, be sure you fully understand the risks and negatives -- like a long recovery period, and the probablity that all future births will have to be c-sections.

• Elissa

It depends on your doctor. Some are more willing to honor patients' requests for a c-section, others prefer not to unless it's needed.

some docs wont do it with out a medical reason. and you have a much longer recovery with a c section