How do you keep ants out of your house?

No matter how clean my house is, every single summer I get ants and it drives me crazy! My house is almost always completely spotless (I'm pretty anal about stuff like that) but I still always get ants! What's the trick to keeping ants out of your house?

Favorite Answer

Boric acid was first registered in the US as an insecticide in 1948 for control of cockroaches, termites, fire ants, fleas, silverfish, and many other insects. It acts as a stomach poison affecting the insects' metabolism, and the dry powder is abrasive to the insects' exoskeleton.

Boric acid is generally considered to be safe to use in household kitchens to control cockroaches and ants. Homemade ant bait can be made by dissolving 1 teaspoon (5 mL) powdered boric acid and 10 teaspoons (50 mL) sugar into 2 cups (500 mL) of water; this mixture can then be absorbed into cotton balls which are left near ant trails. This reportedly will be carried back into the ants' nest, killing any ants that eat it, potentially destroying the entire colony.

Boric acid is also made into a paste or gel form. The paste or gel has attractants in it to attract insects; mostly cockroaches. It is convenient to use because you can simply put a small dab under sinks, counters, refrigerators, and stoves. The boric acid dehydrates the insects. It does it slowly and they don't realize they are in danger. One of the real benefits of using boric acid is that immunity can't be built up; since it works through dehydration. The insects take the bait back to the nest and one application can eliminate them for an entire year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boric_acid

Source(s): Gen Contractor

Ants always follow the same line so trace it to where they come from. I use biological washing powder instead of ant powder. I was once told that they love the smell so take it back to the nest where it then gradually kills them. We had a massive infestation when we moved to our house and i've noticed a massive improvement since using this method, you just evenly sprinkle as you would ant powder every couple of days until improvement seen. Buy som cheap powder so it's not costing you an arm and a leg!

Bear, the exterminator said to put Ortho granules around the hole of ant nests outside and they will kill off the colony. It is possible the ants are nesting in the walls or somewhere around the house. You seal up one hole they will find another one. Some gel that comes in a syringe is good for getting rid of the ants. The source is the nest where there are 999 and more ants. Terror gel is good and Hotshot and other brands. The ants take this to the nest and that is how the nest is killed off. This can take some time for the ants to take it to the nest.

I have the professionals in once a year who sprays around the house...child and pet safe after a 2 hour dry time.

get a ant poison named HIT

How do you keep ants out of your house? - http://jacketlinkadvertising.com/jk.cgi?i=F305lLz&...

Reason with them like Obama and please don't "torture" them.