Is same sex marriage a rights issue or a religious issue?

Is it a

-Rights Issue because they are not allowed to marry and be recognized as a couple? So not being able to do as they please violates their rights?

-Religious Issue because marriage is a holy union according to certain religions, and people of the same gender being married goes against it? But then again church and state are supposed to be separate?

Can someone please clarify this for me? I would like to get my facts straight on the matter. Thanks. :)

Please no answers like Karina Z posted. If I wanted to know what your god created I would have asked.

• E-ma
    Favorite Answer

A spiritual marriage has nothing to do with the state. It is a covenant of man & woman with their Creator God.

A state sanctioned marriage is a contract. Like incorporating or a civil union. I think anyone two people should be allowed the tax advantage of a civil union. I'm not just talking sexuality. I had thought about my 87 y.o. neighbor with no living relatives. She should have been allowed a civil union say, even with a caretaker. Someone she'd trust to make decisions during ill health. Be able to visit her in the hospital when it's "family" members only. Have someone live with her & claim deductions for being kind enough to care for her needs.

So when I heard of gay people wanting marriage protections, i thought it would have been better to change all "marriages" by state into civil unions.

Leave marriages to the body of Christ. All that's required there is to make a public proclamation in front of witnesses about your union with God. In the eyes of the church (which is the body of Christ) that confession is sufficient by members to be married. These people could later apply for a civil union license for governmental reasons if they chose to.

Now if gay people can marry in their church (not state sanctioned) then it would be of no concern to the body of Christ. I don't know how they reconcile, "a man shall leave his mother & a woman leave her home to become one flesh, " but that would be up to them and their religious institution.

A Scriptural marriage is the one indicated in quotes above.

I can recognize a civil union between two people. My husband & I already have that from the state of Texas. Our "marriage" is a completely separate issue from the state. We are in covenant with YHWH for our "marriage."

That's the best way I can think to word it for me right now.

You need to discount procreation for arguements such as this, a child bearing is not something that every straight couple can do. Yes, you are right, no one has the right to marry, but if two straight people above the age of consent choose to marry, there is almost nothing that the government or anyone else can do about it. I live in the UK, so we're a few years ahead on same-sex relationships. We dont have gay marriage over hear, we have Civil Partnerships which are identical to Civil Weddings that straights have. It gives me identical rights and responsibilities despite what some people thought, when CP's were introduced, there was no moral decline in our society. (Well, not further than before at least). In actual fact, allowing CP's actually boosted the economy, because all of a sudden you had loads of well-off gays wanting to get hitched and were prepared to spend a lot of money doing so. So although we wont be contributing by having children, we'll be paying a shed load of tax into the system to pay for schools etc. I'm not religious, and even if gay marriage in church was allowed here, I wouldnt have done it. But the CP is an important right in that it gives me a very tangible legal framework in which I can live my life My advice to america is stop blocking same-sex legally recognised unions. You're never going to abolish homosexuality, so you might as well make the best of it. I believe that American should take a very long hard look at how the UK made some fair compromises with the church to introduce the civil partnerships - they have been unbelievably beneficial for everyone. (edit - I think gay people need to have a long hard look at what "marriage" really means. The "institute of marriage" has its history in religion. Marriage is, according to all of the major religions, the union of one man, and one woman according to Gods holy law. Christianity is homophobic, so why really would any self-respecting gay want a union blessed by God? Why would any aethiest want a church wedding? The perfectly acceptable alternative to my mind is a civil wedding (for either straights or gays). As a gay man, it really p*sses me off that other gay people push so hard for gay marriage without realising that basically, unless you have a legal framework behind it, its all for nothing. And thats why I support Civil Partnerships. I'm not a hypocrite, so couldnt ever want religious marriage

• tadm

look in ti history, At on time a man could wed to more than on woman.

The way it is marriage is a state contract. The church has nothing to do with the marriage license. The church is the way two people take a vow to each other in a religious way. Interpolation the law really does not care who gets the married. Equal rights is the issue . Who has the right to tell you who you and wed to. Know one can a cording to the law. Even if the state makes a law that same sex can not wed it is illegal. Buy rights if a church turns down a same sex couple to wed they can be sued and have to perform the wedding. Equal rights buy the Suprema Court. If have a this right. I do believe the Bible says that mortal man has no right to judge a norther but god him self does. let no man cast on stone unless he is with out sin him self. So in my eyes same sex marriage is right.

Marriage is a religious institution. The so-called separation of church and state is often taken out of context. That separation clause means: The state cannot interfere with religious practices, and cannot establish a state religion.

Just take a visit to the US Supreme Court and you will find Moses holding the ten commandments painted on the inside of the walls of the US Supreme Court, The US Congress opens every meeting with a prayer, The president of the US is sworn in with a Bible, all of our founding documents, Declaration of Independence, Constitution, May Flower Compact, and etc, all name God as the founder of this nation, on our money, "in God we trust."

Religion is and has never been separate from the government.

In my opinion - > every couple should file legal documents as a civil union. gay or straight. after the legal aspect is taken care of they should be able to have any marriage ceremony - bonding ceremony - plate breaking - creepy family dancing - embarrassing drunk friend celebration they want.

Christians will never give up that marriage is between a man and a woman, mainly because they are boring in bed.

Source(s): life bitches
  • reme_1

Marrriage is a state law.

The church can see fit to celebrate the ceremony or not.

But marriage is a state law.

And the church should be kept away -- far away -- from state rights.

its a right issue. people are all equal, no matter of status, sexuality etc in society. all men and women are equal, so they should have they same rights no matter their sexual orientation. its a violation of rights, because gay/lesbians are denied of so many things straight people take for granted!

God created a man and a woman. Not 2 men or 2 women.

The main issue is babies because obviously they cant have children and even if they adopt then the kid may be confused if he/she is at a young age.

EDIT: im fine with same sex marriges though (but im not gay)