MzOreO asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Different size Yorkie' s?

Now i am planning on buying a Yorkie and i am just learning there are at least 3 different sizes, (WTF) does anyone have a link or anything that will help me see or understand how big and how small all of these sizes are i want to see the dogs all lined up with the sizes on them now i thought all Yorkie' s were small dogs now im confused. Please help!!!

Well yeah i wanna adopt didn't mean to say buy but does anyone also know where I can adopt a Yorkie and how much would it costs never adopted before but i read an email and i really wanna adopt but a Yorkie only for now

Best Answer

There is only ONE size Yorkie, if someone is advertising anything on the tiny size, turn around and head for the hills. Yorkie's are already fragile dogs, the smaller ones are even worse and will only bring you complications. I know they are adorable, and it seems perfect because it can be taken around town in any purse, but they're not good to own. If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that the smaller size ones have a very short life span and lots of health issues.

A breeder that advertises the "teacup" size is not a responsible breeder, and is in it only for the money.

Dot lots of research, and if you decide to get one, make sure it's the standard size.

Good luck!

There's only one size of Yorkie. Some breeders advertise their Yorkies as teacups, but honest to goodness, there is no way to guarantee that a dog will not gain over so many ounces and remain a certain size it's whole life. That's just silly. As far as adopting a dog (like someone else suggested), I would say go for it...but I don't know of many adoption agencies for Yorkies. Perhaps you could get in touch with a rescue that deals specifically with Yorkies, or if you want to buy one from a breeder, so be it. By purchasing a dog, you are not killing one at a shelter. For goodness sakes, I feel bad for dogs at shelters too, but get a grip shelter lovers, people are allowed their own preferences on breeds & knowing where the dog came from, the parents, etc.

Yorkie Size

Standard Yorkie

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Different size Yorkie' s?

Now i am planning on buying a Yorkie and i am just learning there are at least 3 different sizes, (WTF) does anyone have a link or anything that will help me see or understand how big and how small all of these sizes are i want to see the dogs all lined up with the sizes on them now i thought all...

Source(s): size yorkie 39 s: https://biturl.im/pQ1OR
  • I assume you mean:

"Teacup" Yorkie

"Mini" Yorkie

Standard Yorkie

The first two are FAKES. Anyone advertising such a thing should not be touched with a ten foot pole (and if they are, they should be beaten with it).

There is only one size of yorkie, and that is a Standard Yorkie.

"Teacups" and "Mini" is just a cover-up name for the runt of the litter. They are popular 'cause stupid people think it's cool to be able to shove a dog in a bag and carry it around everywhere. They are overpriced, and have, or will have MAJOR health issues. I've heard that most of these little ones die within 2 - 4 years of age.

Avoid breeders that claim they sell "Teacups" or "Mini" Dogs. They just want your money.

Source(s): Owner of a 6yo Siberian Husky and 12 week old Kelpie

Yorkies come in ONE size ONLY!

There's no "teacups" "toys" "minis" "microminis" "tiny" or any other size.. those are scam labels.

Yorkies are 7 pds or less.. some may be larger than what the breed standard calls for.. but ALL Yorkies are all classified as "Yorkshire Terriers".. there's no other recognized size or type.

Try www.petfinder.com for adoption.. adoption fees vary, ussually around $300 or less

There is only ONE Yorkie size

Breed standard says this : Not to exceed 7 pounds.

That's IT.

Breed standard

http://ytca.org/standard2.html

Breed club FAQs addressing Teacups, Parti colored Yorkies and other issues

http://ytca.org/faq.html

LOL...well apparently you haven't learned enough. ;) There is ONE standard for Yorkies--"not to exceed 7 pounds". There are no subcategories based on size. Unfortunately, because there are so many unethical breeders producing dogs with no regard for the standard that defines the breed, it's not uncommon for them to have sizes all over the scale, but understand, that simply means that they were poorly bred dogs.

Educate yourself on the breed standard, learn to recognize it when you see it, and search for a reputable breeder that adheres to it with their breeding program.

Source(s): Yorkie breeder 10+ years

Yorkshire Terriers occur in a natural range, usually between 5-7 pounds.

They do NOT come in sizes, like poodles [toy, mini, standard].

The link is to the Yorkshire Terrier Club of America's site, the page in their FAQ section discussing size.