Please explain how banning guns will reduce gun crimes?

Could someone please make a logical argument how banning guns will save lives? Anyone willing to go out and commit a violent crime with a gun obviously doesn't see a problem with breaking the law and committing a felony (and possibly taking a life)... knowing this, why would such a person follow the law demanding they relinquish their weapons?

Update:

In response to Kenny's response... are you saying that we should ban people from possessing anything that could potentially be used to harm someone? Such as in the case of guns, taking away their right to protect themselves?

I do not consider this a questionable analogy fallacy, but if you're taking that stance, you should be banning cigarettes long before guns, because like guns, the primary purpose is to kill... the only difference is they kill slowly and kill 10 times as many people annually

Update 2:

In response to Ravinder, banning guns will not eliminate them. If congress banned them tomorrow, the same number of guns that exist today would exist on Saturday.

Update 3:

Legend, the types of weapons you listed are already illegal (aside from the assault weapons, which it is only semi automatic that are legal, and it seems that the ones used in crimes are automatic... which are illegal)

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I've been waiting for a good explanation of this theory too. Haven't heard one yet.

Let's imagine that the Liberal idiots won the battle to outlaw guns for a minute ...

Guns are outlawed, gun manufacturing plants close. Highly skilled machinists that know how to build guns are out of work, Guns are outlawed, bullets are worthless [legally]. Chemists that know how to make gunpowder and metalworkers that can make projectiles and casings are out of a job.

The perfect breeding ground for a brand new illegal enterprise! Someone with a flair for organization hires the machinists, chemists, and metalworkers that used to make guns, gun powder and bullets legally. Set up a shop and start turning out the weapons!

The criminals will still have guns, they have no problem breaking the law! The law abiding citizen would be kind of screwed though.

Make it hard to own a popular product legally, and some people will break the law and own it anyway! Happened with alcohol, happening now with certain drugs ... and if the current administration has it's way, it will soon be happening with firearms!

• Login to reply the answers
  • Atlas
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I agree it will not stop crimes and such, and as for everyone and their grandma, what kind of comment is that? There are already laws that people can carry concealed weapons, how many times have you heard about grandma getting ticked and pulling out her desert eagle and popping some heads? That is just ridiculous, and look at all the people who or criminals who have access to drugs, so if they ban guns you think that they won't have access to guns to? Not only will the criminals have guns, but the civilians will be disarmed, that does not sound like a good idea to me

• Daniel
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

i doubt banning guns will stop much violence, some perhaps, but not enough to justify the loss of the capability to defend oneself. gangs often buy guns illegally, and law abiding citizens dont commit crimes.

gun crimes are rare, and often done by gangs. the few that arent might be prevented, but it would mean sacrificing the safety of gun owners all over the country.

me for example, i live 15 minutes away from the nearest police station, say the cop speeds, and gets here in 5. thats 5 minutes someone has to kill you, and you have little means to defend yourself.

• 1 decade ago

Well because we all know that as soon as guns are banned, all the gang bangers and crack dealers will be the first to turn in their guns with the serial no's filed off.

It is the biggest lie ever. It is just a way for the power elite to make sure they get to keep their power.

The Founding Fathers gave us the right to keep weapons in case the government got out of hand.. NOW .....WHO WANTS TO TAKE AWAY THE WEAPONS????? SURPRISE, SURPRISE,

And the proponents of the mess say " oh , that will never happen"

Think of the last several incidents of gun violence in your area. How many involved legally carried, licensed weapons?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It hasn't been proven to be effective where all guns are illegal. For example, Mexico, where there is a large problem with drug cartels and their weapons. Most law abiding citizens will turn in their guns in the event of a weapons ban, but the criminals will have a much easier time of getting their "job" done.

Nations with stringent anti-gun laws generally have substantially higher murder rates than those that do not. The study found that the nine European nations with the lowest rates of gun ownership (5,000 or fewer guns per 100,000 population) have a combined murder rate three times higher than that of the nine nations with the highest rates of gun ownership (at least 15,000 guns per 100,000 population).

For example, Norway has the highest rate of gun ownership in Western Europe, yet possesses the lowest murder rate. In contrast, Holland's murder rate is nearly the worst, despite having the lowest gun ownership rate in Western Europe. Sweden and Denmark are two more examples of nations with high murder rates but few guns. As the study's authors write in the report:

If the mantra "more guns equal more death and fewer guns equal less death" were true, broad cross-national comparisons should show that nations with higher gun ownership per capita consistently have more death. Nations with higher gun ownership rates, however, do not have higher murder or suicide rates than those with lower gun ownership. Indeed many high gun ownership nations have much lower murder rates. (p. 661, Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy Vol. 30, Num. 2)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It wont, its a ploy, pushing ever closer to martial law, where we as citizens become civilians. The only people gun control laws deter are the law abiding citizens who don't like them. Criminals love them, its easier to victimize people because less of them can defend themselves.

If you relinquish your freedom for safety, you will lose both, and deserve neither. We earned our freedom so we could make ourselves safe, not so we could just give it up. George Washington's ideals would be considered terroristic in today's times. Traitors formed our country, for the ignorant among us who are unaware.

• Meh
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

It seems self evident that if firearms are less commonplace then people will be less able to obtain them and will be less likely to commit crimes with them.

I don't agree with the sentiment - I happen to like all of my rights, including those under the 2nd amendment, but I can understand the reasoning.

• bayer
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

It takes time. yet you may desire to start someplace. It must be no longer in basic terms the sale of such weapons, however the manufacture to to boot as transporting. (so as which you would be able to no longer purchase them offshore and produce them in.) you could no longer confiscate all of those obtainable now, yet finally the numbers will drop as old ones breakdown. in my opinion, i do no longer think of it is going to do plenty solid, yet while the gun foyer isn't prepared to compromise, as an occasion on severe means magazines, then attack weapons often is the focused. via the way, as with every law, the proper definition of grew to become into an attack weapon is, would be defined via Congress.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

does anyone really believe guns will be banned? you would have to be a total idiot to even entertain that thought..

Source(s): would you give up your guns? mine arent legal and and ill still have them..
  • 1 decade ago

Nobody's going to take away hunting guns; just assault rifles, machine guns, grenade launchers, etc. You can't hunt with those things anyway, unless your looking to instantly turn that bull elk into burger.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.