Has music ever actually been destroyed through ignorance or repression?

I don't mean "butchering" music through poor interpretation, or shoddy composing like you-know-what. I mean actually destroying music, for example by burning manuscripts or trying to eradicate pieces (even if it isn't successful). Have you ever heard of anything like this? I'm wondering,... show more I don't mean "butchering" music through poor interpretation, or shoddy composing like you-know-what. I mean actually destroying music, for example by burning manuscripts or trying to eradicate pieces (even if it isn't successful). Have you ever heard of anything like this?

I'm wondering, because it has happened many times with art and a few times with literature; I don't even know whether it's possible to destroy music, but it seems possible if the work is unpublished. Here are some of the worst art tragedies I've ever heard:

-The Russian Czars cutting up great medieval Flemish tapestries for use as seat cushions
-The Turks storing gunpowder in the Parthenon (yeah, it *used* to be perfectly preserved)
-The Vatican melting the bronze roof of the Pantheon in the 1600's to make altarpieces
-The Iraqi Museum (don't believe the US government- it was not just "a bunch of pots," it was 6000-year-old masterpieces from the Fertile Crescent)

Has music ever been destroyed in such a way? Or do you think it's impossible to destroy music in the same way as art? I remember something about Shostakovich hiding scores during Stalin's purges, but I don't know whether they were his own music or whether they were Bach's WTC... ?

Suggested Category: Business & Finance > Corporations
Update: OK, thanks!, but maybe I should be more specific. I know about the Chinese Communists and Nazi Germany, but does anyone know if they actually succeeded in destroying all traces of the music? Even if China banned Western art, it didn't "destroy" it- but the Soviets may have really destroyed great... show more OK, thanks!, but maybe I should be more specific. I know about the Chinese Communists and Nazi Germany, but does anyone know if they actually succeeded in destroying all traces of the music? Even if China banned Western art, it didn't "destroy" it- but the Soviets may have really destroyed great music. And the Nazis- ?? I doubt all those works were copied elsewhere...

[I forgot the Maya Codices! Destroyed by the Spanish because they were "Books of the Devil"- grrr... I agree on the Native Americans, but wasn't the Lighthouse of Alexandria an accident? Still a tragedy though :)]