Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Facts about Missouri Compromise?

hi. can you help me get facts for the missouri compromise?

if youget em from a website

can you put the url below it?

thnaks. (:

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

the Missouri Compromise was an agreement passed in 1820 between the pro-slavery and anti-slavery factions in the U.S. Congress, involving primarily the regulation of slavery in the western territories. it prohibited slavery in the former Louisiana Territory north of the parallel 36°30' north except within the boundaries of the proposed state of Missouri. prior to the agreement, the House of Representatives had refused to accept this compromise and a conference committee was appointed. the U.S. Senate refused to concur in the amendment, and the whole measure was lost.

during the following session (1819-1820), the House passed a similar bill with an amendment, introduced on January 26, 1820 by John W. Taylor of New York, allowing Missouri into the union as a slave state. the question had been complicated by the admission in December of Alabama, a slave state, making the number of slave and free states equal. in addition, there was a bill in passage through the House (January 3, 1820) to admit Maine as a free state.

the Senate decided to connect the two measures. it passed a bill for the admission of Maine with an amendment enabling the people of Missouri to form a state constitution. before the bill was returned to the House, a second amendment was adopted on the motion of Jesse B. Thomas of Illinois, excluding slavery from the Missouri Territory north of the parallel 36°30' north (the southern boundary of Missouri), except within the limits of the proposed state of Missouri.

Source(s): Fair & Balanced
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Missouri Compromise Facts

• stair
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Facts About The Missouri Compromise

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Facts about Missouri Compromise?

hi. can you help me get facts for the missouri compromise?

if youget em from a website

can you put the url below it?

thnaks. (:

Source(s): facts missouri compromise: https://biturl.im/qEfNC
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

maine was in the missouri compromise also! i think i learned that a couple days ago.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.