T asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

help with history???????????????

i write this stupid DBQ box on the progressive era. can you help me with some of the goals of reformers. specifically what they did for the environment and industrial safety...please i need help.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I hope this information will help you think of and answer and some ideas for the box 1890 - 1920 The Progressive Era

1890 -- End of the American Frontier -- Superintendent of the Census reports: "Up to and including 1880 the country had a frontier of settlement but at present the unsettled area has been so broken into isolated bodies of settlement that there can hardly be said to be a frontier line." The significance of the frontier was that it influenced Americans as much as (or some argued, more than) European culture. Historian Frederick Jackson Turner, for example, said the frontier (not Europe) defined the American experience. He noted the significance of its closing in an 1893 speech to the American Historical Association.:

"Up to our own day American history has been in a large degree the history of the colonization of the Great West... [The frontier produced] a man of coarseness and strength...acuteness and inquisitiveness, [of] that practical and inventive turn of mind...[full of] restless and nervous energy... that buoyancy and exuberance which comes with freedom.... The paths of the pioneers have widened into broad highways. The forest clearing has expanded into affluent commonwealths. Let us see to it that the ideals of the pioneer in his log cabin shall enlarge into the spiritual life of a democracy where civic power shall dominate and utilize individual achievement for the common good." -- Frederick Jackson Turner.

1890 -- General Federation of Women's Clubs founded in the US; conservation and "ecology" among top priorities. Over a million women participated directly in reform efforts during the Progressive era, and the federation developed national committees on forestry, waterways and rivers and harbors. For example, the waterways committee was formed in 1909 to promote water power, clean water and cheaper transportation, according to historian Carolyn Merchant.

"The rationale for women's involvement [in public health movements] lay in the effect of waterways on every American home: Pure water meant health; impure meant disease and death." -- Carolyn Merchant.

1890 -- Oct. 1 -- Yosemite National Park and General Grant national parks are authorized by Congress. Sequoia National Park also established Sept. 25.

1890, April 7 -- Marjorie Stoneman Douglas born in Minneapolis, Minn. As a writer for the Miami Herald, she will lead the crusade to save the Florida Everglades beginning in the 1920s. She wrote The Everglades: River of Grass, published in 1947, the same year President Harry F. Truman establishes Everglades National Park. She was also honored by President Bill Clinton in 1993.

1891 -- Forest Reserve Act passes Congress. Over 17.5 million acres set aside by 1893.

1891 -- Baltimore inventor Clarence Kemp ("the father of solar energy in the U.S.") patents first commercial Climax Solar Water Heater. By 1910, the Climax had competition, especially from the Night and Day solar hot water company, which used a secondary loop from the collector to a water tank. By 1920, over 5,000 Night and Day heaters had been sold in California At the same time, a boom in solar hot water heaters started in Florida, where electricity was a very expensive competitor. About 15,000 units were sold by 1937. (Butt & Perlin)

1891 -- Factory Act amendments (UK) Special Rules for medical examination of workers are applied to dangerous industries. The Act was amended many times by recommendation of medical commitees to deal with specific industrial dangers, especially in 1939, 1959 and 1961.

1892 -- Inventor Aubrey Eneas founds Solar Motor Company of Boston to build solar-powered motors to replace steam engines powered by coal or wood (Butt & Perlin)

1892 -- Europe's last great cholera outbreak. In one widely noted incident, the disease takes a heavy toll in Hamburg, Germany but spares neighboring Altona. The difference is that Altona has a water purification system.

1892 -- June 4 -- Sierra Club founded by John Muir, Robert Underwood Johnson and William Colby "to do something for the wilderness and make the mountains glad."

1892 -- 1,000 Londoners die in smog incident.

1893 -- Illinois is the first state to pass a law limiting the workday for women to 8 hours. The law is largely the work of Florence Kelly, the first Chief Inspector of Factories for Illinois, who vigorously and tenaciously enforces workday, child labor and sweatshop laws.

1893 --"Shadows from the Walls of Death, or Arsenical Wall-papers" is published in Michigan. Putting arsenic in wallpaper made a vivid green color, but it also was poisonous. The Michigan board of health, as part of its investigation, published a book of wallpaper samples and distributed it to libraries. Unfortunately, the book of samples itself caused poisoning when patrons simply thumbed through their copies. Although laws against dangerous colorants were common in Europe, industries in America claimed that the concept of publ

• shimp
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Do you folks quite like historical past?! I without doubt hate it. The best factor I like approximately historical past is our trainer for the reason that he is quite humorous however we are getting a brand new trainer quickly besides. I simply uncover it insanely uninteresting. And sure, I select maths to historical past. All my peers are doing historical past for his or her tests, I look to be the one person who is not. I realize a few folks could uncover it exciting, however I'm without doubt now not a type of folks :)

• 1 decade ago

can you please vote me best answer please

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.