Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastIsrael · 1 decade ago

Does this article mean that Israelis have actually bought the land that they've been accused of stealing?

PA Execution for Selling to Jew

A Palestinian Authority military court on Tuesday sentenced a Hevron Arab to death by hanging for the crime of selling land to Jews in Judea and Samaria, the Bethlehem-based Ma'an news agency reported. The three-member judicial panel heard the case last week and handed down its verdict and conviction on Tuesday.

Dozens of Arabs have been executed in the past for collaborating with Israel by selling land to Jews, but the court’s ruling is the first time the PA officially has handed down a guilty verdict of treason for the crime. Previous summary executions with the approval of the PA have been met with outcries from human rights organizations.

Israelis have spent millions of dollars the past few years to buy land from Arabs thus gaining Israeli rights to the land. The PA began fighting the sales in the 1990s, announcing in 1996 that the death penalty would be imposed for selling land to Jews.

Seventy Arabs were executed in the same year for “collaborating,” and the PA later admitted that it was responsible for the murders. More executions took place the following years, and one Arab, Mohammed Abu al-Hawa, was tortured and murdered in 2006 for allegedly selling an apartment building in Jerusalem to Jews.

The Human Rights Watch organization protested to then-PA leader Yasser Arafat at the time, declaring that statements by officials who encouraged punishment for selling land to Jews were ''casting grave doubt on your government's commitment to human rights and the rule of law.''

Update:

For those who said this article was too long or inaccurate - it was copied from a news article published today, 30th April.

For those who misconstrued my reason for posting the question - I know the history of my country; I live in Zichron Ya'acov, one of the first towns settled during the first Aliyah, in the 1800s.

I rather hoped that this article would be an opportunity to expose the truth to those who insist that we 'stole' the land. We didn't. We paid for it. At many times over the accepted value.

We drained swamps, planted trees and fields, put in irrigation systems.

We have built highways and factories; ports and airports; offices and schools; hospitals and universities.

And now the descendants of the people who lived on the land - who were, in fact, only tenants of the absentee Arab landlords who actually sold us the land, and their ill-informed supporters, want us to GIVE it to them.

Update 2:

This video is an example of how most of the Arab world - including Egypt, with whom Israel has a peace treaty - views the Jewish people. This is what they broadcast recently on Arab TV.

Al-Rahma TV (Egypt) - January 26, 2009

http://www.road90.com/watch.php?id=Pih2PIvBpY

Update 3:

In 1916, control of the South of the Ottoman Empire was divided - Lebanon & Syria assigned to France, & "Palestine" (today's Jordan, Israel & "West Bank") mandated to Britain.

The inhabitants of "Palestine" at this time were Jews, Christian Arabs, Druze & Bedouin. No single race / culture had established a national homeland in "Palestine" since the Jews had done 5,000 years before.

There were Palestinian Jews & Palestinian Mosllems; 'Palestinians' as a nation of Moslems, were a creation of Egyptian-born Yasser Arafat in 1964, with the goal of destroying the Jewish people. In 1923, the British divided the "Palestine" portion of the Ottoman Empire into 2 administrative areas; Jews were permitted to settle the 27.8% of the land west of the Jordan River creating a Jewish Palestinian National Homeland, whilst 72.2% was allocated to form an Arab Palestinian nation called Trans-Jordan. THE PALESTINIAN ARABS WERE ALLOCATED AN "ARAB PALESTINIAN" HOMELAND, in what is now Jordan.

27 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

answer: Yes it is. Jews have been buying land long before the 1950s, planting trees, draining swamps - land that no one lived on and no one wanted until Israelis turned it around and revitalized the land.

Arabs claim they wish to live in peace but reject any compromise put forth by the Israelis. They blockade their own Arab brothers so they can claim Israel is oppressing "refugees" - those refugees fled their homes because of threats by ARABS when Israel was formed. Israel asked their Arab brothers to stay and build a land of peace.

People forget that hundreds of thousands Jews had to flee their homes from the surrounding Arab countries when Israel was formed - leaving their homes, businesses and property or be killed. They were never reimbursed.

• 4 years ago

Because it's cheap for holiday homes. Think you'll find that at some point in history,all land has been conquered by someone or another, therefore all land is stolen,whichever country you are in. Are you able to, hand on heart, say you don't live on 'stolen' land?

• 1 decade ago

Yes. The so-called illegal settlements (the ones not sanctioned by the Israeli government earlier) are also on purchased land. Every one of the Arabs who sold those Jews land has been rich for a while - then killed by their own folk.

======

Miss Sarah

Now put every fact in the context of war started by Arabs (before Israel was even formed with pogroms)...and you have a different picture.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Most of the landlords who sold land to the Jews were "absentee" landlords living mainly in Syria, Turkey, Lebanon, or Jordan. So the death sentence was not easily carried out. The truth is difficult to accept because the Arabs would not believe that their land was sold right out from under them (usually by a family relative). So, to deny this fact, denies the truth, which has been the Palestinian's mode of operation throughout their brief history.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Very true some of the land was bought. But ask yourself this can I buy a state in america , if I where that rich, and call it England, and ignore the US government and kick all us citizens out of my self created country , with the penalty of death if they don't leave?

The point is bought land does not mean you can form your own country and own regime and kick all the natives out, its just wrong, everyone lived peacefully side by side in palestine till the second world war, then the Jews from europe ( who were treated in Extreme inhuman ways ) decided to do the same if not worse to the palestinian population living in Palestine!!!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I do not know if any Palestinian has been executed in the recent past for selling land to the Israelis, though I believe the law you refer to does exist. All of the Palestinians that were executed committed the crime of collaborating with and leading the Israeli army to murdering Palestinian activists.

As for the issue of Jews buying Palestinian land, no one disputes that Zionists did buy some land. They bought a total of 7% of Palestinian land by 1947. Most of the rest was owned by Palestinians. Yet even though the Jews made up 33% of the population and owned only 7% of the land, the UN granted them 55% of the land in 1947. You would expect that they would be happy getting such a disproportionate area of land, but NO, they immediately launch a war against the Palestinians and occupy (steal) more than half the land allocated to the Palestinians and ethnically cleanse 80% of the Palestinians living on those lands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Mandate_of_Pa...

While what you said is true about your town (Zichron Ya'acov), but that is not true for most other Israeli towns that were built over the ruins of ethnically cleansed Palestinian villages.

See this example about Israeli towns close to Gaza:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AtupY...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ARTICLE # 1

WAR ON TERROR IS WAR AGAINST 'ISLAM'

Sometimes I wonder, who are the profiteers of all this mayhem. Why are the Jews so quiet. Perhaps the remaining 73% living in America have started all this otherwise all Islamic nations would have stood against Israel if they would have started this.

Ashamed to see answer being reported but right action taken by YA. Asians gave place and welcomed Jews, and what did they get in return...atrocities that even puts Hitler to shame. Look in history and the atlas as to how the map has changed. How zionists eliminated Malcolm X and Martin Luther King and anything that stood for peace, righteousness and truth.

Yes its true as they say...To Jews, only materialistic things matter and to them 'heaven is a place on Earth (and to kill all who think otherwise)

Iran, working for its people, for its soverignity is a terror threat whereas India is signing nuclear deals to claim itself as a global power. Its economy is running on Indians working overseas and sending money back which government squeezes out in the name of taxes and spend on military projects.

After ruining Iraq which was prospering and now has a worthless economy. After financially ruining Sudan and African countries where Westerns always experiment and to them human lives have no value, the European and American media have tried their level best to sabotage the image of Islam and peace loving muslims who were prospering but the Western powers have joined hands in annihilating their lives and homes.

Yet, the countries surviving on dead morals, prostitution (which is the second highest revenue generator after illegal drugs), and weapons trade aren't accepting the fact that muslims have joined hands and will continue to fight the real terrorists - They have to empty our homelands and stop intruding in our financial situations.

Media, the second most disastrous thing after politics, hasn't appropriately played its role to bring to light all what has been done and what has been planned. But, unfortunately it cashes only on heated arguments and no result.

The people fighting for their security are now called terrorists. Using this opportunity, all countries have been deluged with terrorism issue and how they deal with foreigners at airports is simply ridiculous while the profiteers of war are looking upon opportunities to indulge generations into being ridiculed of thinking Islam as a religion of violence and hatred towards humanity.

The fact remains, War on terror is War against Islam. This is what America and its policies are all about - THE PIED PIPER STORY

ARTICLE # 2

HITLER WAS RIGHT - JUDAISM WILL WAGE A NEW WAR

I wont write much as his speech says it all...

The "Export or die" speech of 30 January 1939 is also known as Hitler’s "Prophecy Speech". The name which that speech is known comes from Hitler’s "prophecy" issued towards the end of the speech:

"One thing I should like to say on this day which may be memorable for others as well for us Germans: In the course of my life I have very often been a prophet, and I usually been ridiculed for it. During the time of my struggle for power it was in the first instance the Jewish race which only received my prophecies with laughter when I said I would one day take over the leadership of the State, and it that of the whole nation, and I that I would then among many other things settle the Jewish problem. Their laughter was uproarious, but I think that for some time now they have been laughing on the other side of the face. Today I will be once more the prophet. If the international Jewish financiers outside Europe should succeed in plunging the nations once more into a world war, then the result will not be the bolsheviszation of the earth, and thus the victory of Jewry, but the annihilation of the Jewish race in Europe!"

To summarize for the muslim world and other under-developed and ignored nations, it would be enough to quote what Hitler said on 22 Feb 1942, "we shall regain our health only by eliminating the Jews".

Source(s): copyrighted articles from my website (www.mansurkhan.wordpress.com) independant source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAhtEqnZqVU
  • 1 decade ago

Private ownership of land does not constitute national sovereignty; if it did then Ronald Lauder could buy up most of the land in Connecticut and declare it a sovereign Jewish State; i.e. a nation. As to the ruling you reference I as a human-rights activist deplore the penalty but you neglect to mention that it is illegal in "Israel" for Jews to sell land to "Arabs" meaning Palestinians. You also fail to note that the Israeli occupation of the Palestinian Territories has repeatedly been ruled illegal under international law; under that circumstance the element of treason is clearly present. I would not take issue with the verdict; only the penalty.

The general thrust of your question or essay or whatever it is supposed to be is that purchase of land by private individuals constitutes a claim of sovereignty; this is simply not so. The entire domain of Palestine as defined under the Mandate was stolen - seized by brute force - and all Palestinian property illegally appropriated. Palestine is not a country called "Israel"; it is a country called Palestine under hostile and brutal occupation. You need to study international law. However since your "state" has stood in opposition to any and all aspects of international from it's inception I think we may infer that you share the traditional Zionist contempt for the international laws that establish rightful ownership and conditions for peace. Your Zichron Ya'acov may stand on ground legally purchased but at the time of the Zionist seizure of power in 1948 Zionists owned less than 10% of Mandate Palestine. In any event private ownership of Zichron Ya'acov does not constitute sovereignty any more than Jewish private ownership of Kiryat Joel in New York constitutes sovereignty; it is still a part of the New York State and the United States.

• april
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Yes that's what it means. Now the arabs turn back and try to bite the hand that feeds it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Of course not, that's Islamophobic anti-Palestinian propaganda

The whole of Palestine is under occupation...in the end it will be liberated

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This is not a new phenomenon.

When the first aliyah started in the late 1800s, Jews moved from all over and had 2 choices; buy land or settle somewhere where there is no stated owner. Many of them bought the land. There were cases when the Arab who sold land to a Jew was lynched, or excommunicated. It was considered traitorous to sell land to a Jew, thereby facilitating Jewish ownership of more land in Israel. JNF, around the turn of the 19th century, started buying huge amounts of land that was "uninhabitable" They drained swamps and turned desert land into fertile land.

"At the end of 1935, after 15 years of tireless effort, JNF held 89,500 acres of land on which stood 108 communities. Most of the land was in the center of the country and in the valley regions."- this is a quote from the history section of JNF's website. Click on the link below, there is some pretty amazing info there.

Unfortunately, this is not the case for all immigrants to Israel. After the war of independence, many new Israelis were offered land or even houses that had previously belonged to Arabs. It was under the "absentee" law. Some of these Arabs have successfully gone to court, in Israel, and won payment for their homes. The problem is that they need documentation and lots of them don't have it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.