Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 1 decade ago

Soon to be a World Pandemic?

Ok

So the swine flu is soon to be a World Pandemic Flu

its on Alert level 5

176 people in Mexico

22 month baby dead in Texas

Australia has 128 suspected

A serious threat you reckon or it'll go away like the Bird Flu?

I think the media is just making it really bad, but i do see there is a problem.

Your opinions?

Favorite Answer

you have to know that this is what the media is best at: building things up to get people to watch the news or to buy newspapers...but at the same time if we are making a mistake by considering the possibility of bigger than hell problems, isn't it always best to err on the side of caution?

Great civilizations have come crashing to the ground for reasons still unknown...but now more and more attention is given to disease as the causes for the fall of the Roman Empire and those of Early America. Some actually believe that mankind has crashed and burned to almost extinction more than once in the life time of this earth.

It's too soon to tell if it will be a pandemic or not. Until then we all need to take the same precautions we take to avoid the regular flu. Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer. You can never wash your hands too often.

I read today that if it is pandemic Canada has the domestic ability to produce a vaccine for it. The vaccine takes 6 months to produce. and they will make enough vaccine for every citizen, if they need to. If it is a pandemic and Canada starts mass production of the vaccine, there will be quite a few that die before they get the vaccine.

I work in a nursing home, and we are one of the first groups of people to find out about health outbreaks. I am not going to panic, until there is something happening closer to home.

If you had a flu shot you were vaccinated against strain N171. This strain is totally different, so the vaccine is useless against the swine flu. N171 is still going around in Mexico, so the vaccine that you had will prevent against that flu strain.

Well WHO has raised it to Level 5, out of 6. At level 6 all public places (schools, restraunts, pretty much anything) are being temporarily shut down! Dont forget over the last 5 days the pandemic has raised 3 levels.

• diesel

It's just another flu that has popped and has the medical staff stumped at the moment. The media has nothing better to do so they jumped on it. Use common sense like you would for any flu or bug and most people will be fine.

I'm in California, right above Mexico where it came from. It IS a serious threat, but don't go heading for the shelters. Diseases pass, vaccines are discovered, people grow immune.

the media always needs something to hype about, what about the war in Gaza. I didn't see that getting much attention. Maybe coz it was only innocent muslims getting butchered by the Israelis...

like you said it really is a lot of media hype really we will hear about it for a couple weeks and less from there on out i will be washing my hands a lil more often but i doubt its going to have that big of an effect on my life

There's a new "super disease" every year.

There was the Mad-Cow disease, Anthrax, West Nile, SARS, and the new one is swine flu.

I think its all just fear-mongering and reporting on the disease because reporting on the economy has gotten stale.

it's mostly the media. here's an above average flu virus, slap the name of an animal in front of it, and call it the next black death

i think the media is making bigger than it needs to be its like at school wen a rumor is blown out of proportion

answer my question