Why do people take things that are clearly jokes so seriously?

I made a question with my friend regarding gay people around an hour ago that was so ridiculous and only one person seemed to understand that it was a joke. Is this what's left of the world?

You can't be both. You have to prefer one. Otherwise you're just being greedy. Also, bisexual people can't see clouds

That was the joke. Does that sound serious to you?

Why do people think bisexuality exists.

You can't be both. You have to prefer one. Otherwise you're just being greedy. Also, bisexual people can't see clouds.

Does that sound serious to you?

Favorite Answer

I feel your pain, satire and sarcasm are great, a pity many do not understand and are just waiting and hoping to be offended. Very weak people tend to do this.

Here are some good and clean jokes... Where does Dracula keep his money? In the blood bank! What kind of coffee do vampires drink? De-coffin-ated! Why did the boy start a lawn care service? He wanted to rake in some cash! Where do ghosts make their beer? At the boo-ery! (brewery) What do you get when 354 blueberries try to get through one door at the same time? Blueberry jam! Why was the musician arrested? He got in treble! Why can't a nose be twelve inches long? Because then it would be a foot! What kind of teeth cost $1? A buck tooth! What does a termite eat for breakfast? Oak-meal! What's the best way to call a dinosaur? Long distance! What did the dinosaur say when the volcano erupted? It's such a lava-ly day! Why were the strawberries so upset? They were in a jam! Why did the people dance to the vegetable band? It had a good beet (beat) What kind of horse only comes out on Halloween? A night-mare! What did the skeleton but at the market? Spare ribs! What day do fish hate? Fry-day! What do you call a musical automobile? Car-toon! What's the most musical bone? Trom-bone! What did the baseball say glove say to the baseball? Catch you later! What stays in the corner but can travel around the world? A stamp! How long does it take for the gymnast to get to class? A split second! What did the shoelace say to the other shoelace? That's knot mine What do snakes use to cut paper? Ssssscissorss (Scissors) Why do they have fences around cemeteries? Because everyone's dying to get in! Why are graveyards so noisy? Because of the coffin (coughin')

• Emma

People take that very seriously for some reason, I don't even know. You see those people make a racist jokes, but when a stab against homosexuality comes in it's the end of the freaking world. Who cares. That joke really isn't that funny and it's not being a hardcore feminist or anything, it's just a bland joke that's an failed attempt; no offense. I don't know why people would find it offensive though.

I'm bisexual, and I COULD be offended, but I'm pretty sure of the context you were using it in. So, I'm NOT. It was just a joke from how I took it. But, when said out-loud, really the tone you use is what is going to express context you were using.

So, I'm sure it was just a joke.

However, you have to understand that not all places treat the LGBT community with respect. So those who LGBT community who grow up with the disrespect are sometimes just used to every comment as ridicule.

But again, the tone says it all.

I'm with ya Dude. There's more of it here than I would've imagined. When someone ask a question that, to me, seems to be in jest or just so dam* stupid, the appropriate response is to joke or be sarcastic. Then they're offended or you get hit with a sh*t load of thumbs down. Where's the sense of humor that us gays are so good at serving up to each other. Life's too short to be so uptight.

I know it's a joke to you, but the sad thing is that there are tons of people here who ask that exact same thing SERIOUSLY.

That's why we sort of instantly assume you're a troll or are vastly ignorant, rather than immediately recognize it as a joke.

It's Poe's Law in action.

http://rationalwiki.com/wiki/Poe%27s_Law

The façade of humor is increasingly lost across this continuum, while the amount of direct hostility increases toward a personal target. Pure jokes are not a problem. Any of these kinds of communications delivered without a real personal target can also be funny or entertaining. Many standup comics use this type of negative humor which does entertain because the intended target is not a real person. Sarcastic comments can provoke spontaneous audience laughter based upon the comedian's wit and dexterity with words. The audience laughs with relief that the hostility in the comment is directed toward a hypothetical other person. For example, a few remarks by Groucho Marx: "No, Groucho is not my real name. I am breaking it in for a friend." "I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."

When can teasing be playful, affectionate and bonding between two people? When it is reciprocal between individuals of equal personal power, mutually agreeable as to the tone and content of the teasing, and when there is no direct or indirect hostile undertone. Friends or couples can set up these playful and positive interaction patterns which cause no confusion or harm. The safest of these teasing interactions will be structured and ritualized so that the comments and retorts are expected and the laughing is lighthearted. Spontaneous teasing is more dangerous to relationships than are scripted comments because irritation toward the other person can creep into the teasing causing the affection to turn into put-downs and belittling masked as humor. I would also avoid teasing between parents and children. The personal power of the adult is always stronger than the child, and the adult's remarks can slip too easily into taunting instead of positive joking. Children have less experience with this medium of communication, and their attempts at joking turn too quickly into sarcastic comments or insults. Instead, communication between parents and children should be mutually respectful. A good book of children's jokes should suffice for parent-child humor, such as "knock knock" jokes or "chicken crossing the road" jokes.

Back to my original concern. Hostile teasing, picking, biting humor or sarcasm too often are insults poorly disguised as humor. They also are "double bind" communications which cause confusion, frustration, personal pain and anger in the recipient. The disguised message runs as follows. "I'm making fun of you and belittling you, but it's only humor. I don't really mean what I just said. There's something wrong with you when you don't accept my statements at face value as teasing even though my words are in fact critical and hostile." The more clever and witty the comment, the more difficult it is to respond. Sarcasm is especially problematic as the words often convey the opposite of the intended meaning. For example, let's say that you try to respond to teasing with a joke of your own. A sarcastic response delivered in a mocking tone, "that's so clever, ha,ha" negates your joke, making it difficult for you to respond in any constructive manner.

What to do? Its difficult to just walk away from the person taunting you because more of the same comments will likely follow. You will have to learn to be assertive and stand up to this kind of derogatory communication. "Call a spade a spade." That is, try to unmask the negative undertone or hostile intent of the picking or hurtful teasing. You can give your tormentor a copy of this article. You can ask that the person examine his or her intent in making these kinds of comments. If you receive an apology or a statement of intent to change, see if the two of you can script a playful teasing interaction. If you continue to receive hostile "teasing" comments, you can decide to seek out a therapist or couples counselor. You might look for therapists trained in the Gottman approach to couples counseling. This approach considers cynical and sarcastic comments as part of an attitude of contempt toward the spouse which predicts impending divorce unless a respectful at equilibrium is reestablished through therapeutic interventions.

Please let this article be a sign that teasers should carefully consider the results of their "jokes" on friends, loved ones and family members. Recipients of teasing and picking should consider their options carefully and decide how to protect themselves from these confusing and hurtful interactions. Fun is fun, but most teasing is not.

First of all gay jokes are not always found funny these days,, people are very touchy - gay or straight. Also, everyone has a different sense of humor. You may think you are funny others may not.

this is for maxkaron:

no she would not take racist jokes seriously.

in fact, she finds them hilarious.

all our friends are all different types of people,gender,sexualities, and such and they all laugh at themselves so why dont other people understand that laughter is what makes the world go round?

sure everyone lives different lives and has different stories to tell but if you cant laugh, your not living.

Source(s): life

People take those things to heart. In fact, the word *ag has actually become a hate crime word and if used out of context the person can sue. It's a sensitive world we will in now, u always have to be careful about everything. especially what u say.

It was probably just plain bad. Or you went a little too far and made it offensive. If you're gonna be a jokester, make sure you know when to draw the line and learn to keep out of the insulting territory.