Randy asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

Why are insects drawn toward light?

has science found an explanation for it? There doesn't seem to be an evolutionary cause - everywhere the light source kills them one way or another - glow worms in caves eat them, campfires & streetlights burn them, etc. so what causes this attraction and what's the reason for it?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Some insects, like moths, may use the moon as a reference point for navigation. When there are lights brighter than the moon the moth may use these to navigate instead of the moon. The moon of course doesn't move from the moth's perspective, but a street light does. this may cause confusion as the moth reaches the moon.

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/insects/question6...

• Login to reply the answers
  • hyer
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

ok I have not got any theory the place you human beings get your info. bugs are drawn to lighting fixtures because of the fact they are drawn to the moon and cant tell the version. Its merely a project of naturehat the moon does, like create tides. that's the reason you ill in many cases see bats and birds putting out around lighting fixtures, so as that they are able to get an basic meal. Pshhhh, heat temperature. stupid. bugs dont have a cerntral frightened device to sense the sensations of heat temperature.

• 1 decade ago

It all depends on the type of light they see - insects can perceive different types of light than us and the light signals them that there is food or something of interest there.

It all depends on the insect as well - if you do not want mosquitoes around your house then put up red lights - but I warn you, you may get other types of visitors (lol)

Source(s): Sensation and Perception class from University
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

most insects are cold blooded. Same as a lizard like the light. It heats them up, but worms like it then cant get out of it on certain days and fry. Ironic how the thing they love to soak up can kill them..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • aerie
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I don't know. I always thought it was the warmth. But they drive me f***ing craaaaazy. I hate summer just because of the bugs! I have a nightly fun time where I spray all the bugs on my porch with Raid and sweep them up the next day.

• 1 decade ago

Its really hard for them to read in the dark.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

they have thousands of eye is there big eye each focus on one color and it you saw something purple blue red and green that was bright i bet you go to it also

• 1 decade ago

probibly the heat produced

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Maybe cause its heat? And they are coldblooded right?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Heat, pure and simple.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.