The media's getting everyone hyped up about the swine flu...my question is HOW are people dying from it?

I understand that most of the deaths from this have been the result of poor sanitation and no medical attention in Mexico, but WHY would people die from this? I also know that we probably don't have immunity to this virus, but if it's not worse than the regular flu, why would people die from it? 1. My... show more I understand that most of the deaths from this have been the result of poor sanitation and no medical attention in Mexico, but WHY would people die from this? I also know that we probably don't have immunity to this virus, but if it's not worse than the regular flu, why would people die from it?

1. My main question, why would people die from this? Can't you die from just about anything?
2. Is the media blowing this way out of proportion?
3. Will this spread? If so, how fast?
4. How long does it last and what are the symptoms?

You don't have to answer all of my questions, but please tell me whatever you know about the swine flu.