If my refrigerator is low on freon/refrigerant will the evaportor in the freezer compartment still be frost co?

My refrigerator is not cooling but is defiantly running. We replaced defrost thermostat and tested the defrost heater for continuity, and also tested the defrost timer and it does work. We are now at a loss on were to go from here. The evaporator in freezer is becoming frost covered every time we plug in almost... show more My refrigerator is not cooling but is defiantly running. We replaced defrost thermostat and tested the defrost heater for continuity, and also tested the defrost timer and it does work. We are now at a loss on were to go from here. The evaporator in freezer is becoming frost covered every time we plug in almost immediately but the coolest the freezer becomes in around 40 degrees and same with refrigerator.