? asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

I need help with Boyle's law, and Charles' Law... Please help!?

I have a test tomorrow, including Boyle's and Charles' Law. I don't really understand either of them... Can some one explain them a little bit, and tell me the difference between the two? Thanks! :P (by the way, my test is TOMORROW, so I need to know soon!) thanks a bunch!

haha i accidentally made it 1 week, but i need an answer today!!!! short notice, i know, but i need it for tomorrow's test. thanks!

Favorite Answer

Boyles Law

At constant temperature the volume

occupied by a fixed amount of gas is

inversely proportional to the pressure

on the gas

V~1/P

or

V=k1/P (where k1 is a proportionality constant)

(at constant temperatue when the pressure on the gas is increased, the volume of gas occupied is decreased, similarly wen d pressure is decreased the volume increases.)

in boyles law temperature remains constant and wen pressure of gas increases volume occupied decreases and vice-versa.

charles law

in charles law pressure remains constant and wen d temp increases the volume of the gas also increases. wen temp decreases volume decreases.

"The volume V of a fixed amount of

gas at constant pressure is

proportional to the absolute

temperature, T

V ~T

or V=k2 T (k2 is a proportionality constant)

boyle's law:

pv=pv

there is an inverse relationship between the pressure and volume of a gas (as one goes up, the other goes down). in normal problems, you will be given three values and have to solve for the unknown

charles' law:

v/t=v/t

there is a direct relationship between the volume of a gas and the temperature (in kelvin).