Can the PS3 play PS2 video games?

At Gamestop, i can trade in my PS2 for a new PS3, but i LOVE my PS2-baby! I've had it for 6 years D: and i love all my PS2 games. So if the PS3 could play the games, that would help. PLEASE HELP!

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Only the first model released of PS3 has complete backward compatability. Unfortunately, that model has been discontinued and incredibly hard to get a hold of one.

All models released since don't have the Emotion engine, which is needed for PS2 games. All PS3s do however have the ability to play PS1 games.

• Marie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

The 80GB does not play PS2 games, the 40 and 60GB Models do play PS2 and PS3 Games.

• 1 decade ago

Im sorry but the newer ps3 with only 2 USB ports ( the ones they make now) can not play ps2 video games.

The ps3's with 4 usb ports could. It really is a shame.

I would just keep the ps2 and save up for a ps3.

If you want to buy the older ps3 your best bet is ebay/ craigslist.

• 1 decade ago

The kinds of Playstation 3's that could play Playstation 2 games are the 60 GB which has the Emotion Engine which lets you play all of your PS2 games. The other is a 80GB which has CECHE01 as the model number and it uses a emulator which lets you play 80% of your PS2 games. You just have to check if the game is backwards compatible with your PS3 on http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleSt...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jenova
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

backward compatibility for the PS3 with PS2 games is as follows:

20GB (4 USB slots, no longer in production) - yes

60GB (4 USB slots, no longer in production) - yes

80GB with 4 USB slots (no longer in production, bundled with MGS4 or Motor Storm) - yes

40GB (2 USB slots, no longer in production) - NO

80GB with 2 USB slots - NO

160GB (2 USB slots) - NO

any other up coming PS3's - NO

in short: if it has 4 USB slots, yes. if it has 2 USB slots, no.

all PS3s play PS1 games.

the download that another person referred to is for backwards compatible PS3s ONLY!!!!!!!!!!! a download will NOT make a non-backwards compatible PS3 play PS2 games. PERIOD!

"If a PLAYSTATION 3 is not backward compatible, you will not be able to add this function through any hardware (i.e., changing the hard disk drive) or software (i.e., updates, homebrew) upgrades or modifications. "

that came DIRECTLY from Sony's own website:

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstatio...

another user said that GameStop can put the "emotion chip" in your PS3 to make it compatible with PS2 games. THIS IS SO COMPLETELY FAR FROM THE TRUTH!!! GameStop does NOT fix broken consoles and GameStop does NOT install things into systems for you!!! especially not when it comes to something like an EMOTION ENGINE that needs to be placed inside the system!

if you love your PS2 and you plan on continuing to play those games, keep it. and you wouldn't be trading in your PS2 for a new PS3. you'd be trading it PLUS 3 PS2 games for $100 dollars off a new 80GB PS3. you'd still be paying $299.99+tax for the 80GB PS3 that does NOT play PS2 games.

• 1 decade ago

well the ORGINAL PS3 could Play PS2 games, but the newer ones dont, because they took the capiblity out so the price would be cheaper

most likely no, if you get a New PS3 or even a used PS3 at this point, they wont be able to play PS2 games

• 1 decade ago

in the Playstation Store they have PS2 system data to download if u wanna play ps2 games go 2 "veiw all by title" then "P" and its called PS2 System Data.

Source(s): PS3 owner PS3 addict worked for me
  • 1 decade ago

The PS3 is backward compatible. You can play your PS2 games.

• 1 decade ago

i have an 80 GB PS3 and ALL of my PS2 games PLAY and they look a little SHARPER (graphics)

Source(s): I own one
  • 1 decade ago

well you can go to game-stop and they can put in the emotion chip or the thing that makes your ps3 backward compatible!but i'm not sure all have this offer though :(

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.