Billy g hee asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How does a no pull harness work?

My german shepard, rocky, is about 2 and 1/2 years old, and hes a great dog, good with kids, great around people, just an awesome dog.

But he pulls alot when i try walking him, i know its normal for a dog to want to explore, but this is a little to much

So ive been thinking about a no pull harness, not a choke collar or the harness around the nose thing, the one you put on its body

How does it work? Will it hurt him?

Explain please =)

• *****
    Favorite Answer

There's a few types of no-pull harness. I have used the Easy Walk Harness on my dog for training, and my trainer uses it in class for pullers. It is very gentle, and causes no pain or discomfort. There's a strap that goes around the dog's ribcage and a strap across their chest with a loop. You hook the leash to the dog in front of their chest. When the dog pulls, it turns their body towards you. Keep in mind that these are all training tools, meant not to be used forever and ever, so should be used to help tech your dog to walk on a loose leash, not just as a tool to walk them. So, when the dog is walking well, make sure to praise and treat the desired behavior. I did try another no-pull brand (can't recall what it was), that lifted the dog's front end when they pulled. Highly ineffective since my dog just chose to walk on his hind legs instead.

Non Pull Dog Harness

Best No Pull Harness

I have a no-pull harness. It helps keep my dog from pulling as much, but it doesn't keep him from pulling all together.

The harness fits around the neck and shoulders, and when the dog pulls, it tightens around the shoulders... so the dog jumps back a bit. I like it a lot better than a choke collar (I haven't used one since I got a no-pull harness).

The only annoying thing, is that it's a pain in the *** to put on. Especially if you have a wild/hyperactive dog. My dog's not that bad, but if he were, it would be almost impossible to put the harness on him.

Source(s): I have a no-pull harness for my golden retriever mix.
  • Finley

I have a no pull harness and it falls off my dog so easily even on the tightest setting!

Instead, I've found a way better thing to do that has helped my dog stop pulling.

It's the regular harnesses you find at Walmart. Get one of those and simply clip the leash to the FRONT ring of the harness...not the top (on the back of the dog).

When your dog sees another dog or whatever....and he starts to pull, simply stop your feet, stand there like a post and he'll get turned around and he'll end up facing you. It's a way to get the dog's attention. It's not hard on the dog at all. And the dog learns VERY fast that he can't pull.

You're using his own body weight to your advantage doing this and very very soon, he teaches himself not to pull!

I take my dog out daily and he used to pull so hard,...but he doesn't anymore. He's even learned to ignore other dogs and just walk on. He can't pull on me anymore. And it doesn't hurt him at all. I've checked his body where the harness goes and there are no rub marks, nothing. No pain. It doesn't hurt him. We walk for at least an hour's time.

The way it actually works is that when they pull forward then the parts of the harness pull tight across the chest and under the arms.

They do work on most, however I still prefer the gentle leader type for a large dog.

Make sure you get one with comfortable cushioning under the arms. Have seen some horrible sores from where the string part cuts in.

More often than not, they don't. Work, that is.

Depending on the kind you get they work on the theory that a dog won't pull if they're pulled to the side (front leading harness) or if it's uncomfortable under the arms (typical back leading harness with thin loops of rope instead of thicker nylon.)

I used BOTH types on my 17 lb schnauzer mix (to see how they worked or didn't.) She merely pulled SIDEWAYS with the front leading one, and lifted on her back legs with the other.

If you want a well trained dog, look into general obedience training. STOP walking when the dog pulls (make like a tree method where dog learns pulling gets him nowhere) or quickly move in the other direction (this startles the dog into paying attention to you, and teaches him that pulling won't get him to where he wants to go.)

Use treats to coax the dog to stay by your side and give little nibbles every so often to praise good behavior.

Source(s): Owned by Mutt

The absolute BEST truly choke free harness on the market is the Ultra choke Free Harness or the American River Harness both designed and manufactured by Doggie Design! IT IS PATENTED! Doggie Design is a wholesale company but you can buy it from www.baxterboo.com they are the BEST for online purchasing.

BEWARE! The owners of a company called Bark Appeal STOLE their harness, had it mass produced in China and are now selling it as their own! Heres the worst part.....They used to work for Doggie Design when they stole it!! Nothing worse than a thief!!

• Sarah

Those things just look stupid. Harnesses are for working sled dogs and weight pulling competitions. I'd be more confident with a prong.

I use harnesses on both of our dogs. They do not hurt them. It gives you a lot more control over them. What helped me is to wrap his leash around your hand a few time so he does not have very much slack and is forced to walk next to you. Both my dogs caught onto that, but harnesses are the way to go.