President Carter's decision to open formal diplomatic relations with China in 1979 caused serious debates and?
President Carter's decision to open formal diplomatic relations with China in 1979 caused serious debates and divisions in the U.S government. Explain them.
- Anonymous1 decade agoFavorite Answer
Jimmy Carter is not only America's worst president, but also the worst ex-president. this clown just won't stop. apart from the early years of the Depression, Carter's brief tenure as president was the worst in the 20th century.
1. he wrecked the world's greatest economy and made a nuclear Iran/ North Korea possible.
2. after being told over and over by Carter that America's ability to influence world events was "very limited," the Soviet Union believed him and invaded Afghanistan... and Al-Qaeda was born.
3. in the name of human rights, he gave rise to one of the worst human rights violators in history, the Ayatollah Khomeini. and now, Khomeini's successor is preparing for nuclear war with Israel and the West.
4. he also kissed Fidel Castro when he trekked to give aid and comfort to that communist thug. no doubt they reminisced about the days when Carter initiated diplomatic relations with Castro's Cuba, looking the other way as thousands of Cuban troops tried to impose Marxist rule in Africa.
5. he cut off aid to El Salvador, which was fighting a communist insurgency, but welcomed the Sandinista takeover of Nicaragua and gave Daniel Ortega's dictatorship more than $90 million in aid.
6. during the Iran Hostage Crisis, his reply was to sit for more than five months before launching a rescue mission that was symbolic of his presidency: the rescue helicopter crashed and burned.
7. the Crude Oil Windfall Profits Tax Act raised far less in revenue (a mere $80 billion rather than the estimated $320 billion) than hoped and had a devastating effect on oil supply and did nothing to diminish OPEC's stranglehold on the U.S.
8. he kept American athletes home from the 1980 Summer Olympics held in Moscow.
9. he gave the Panama Canal away.
10. he began a limited trade embargo against the Soviets, killing the wheat deal, which was intended to increase trade with the USSR and ease Cold War tensions. American farmers and their families who relied on the deal were hurt more than the Soviets whom Carter imagined he was punishing.
11. the Camp David Peace Accords was a joke. even today, Israel and Egypt are the two largest recipients of U.S. foreign aid (between $3-5 billion a year since 1978). despite that, only one of the two nations is our ally. two years after Camp David, Sadat was murdered by Muslim extremists angry at the deal. in Egypt, there are no plaques of remembrance, no great monuments to Sadat, only anger and bitterness. Israel did return the oil-rich Sinai to Egypt in return for peace.
12. in 2004, he was an official observer to a rigged recall referendum. he swiftly declared it free and fair. Venezuelans cried fraud and chased Carter around Caracas, beating pots and pans. despite this, outside Venezuela, Carter's report was taken by the media as credible, and Chavez's regime used it to bolster its legitimacy.
13. recently, he opens his yap about Israeli nukes, and now Iran has more reason to want nukes too.Source(s): Fair & Balanced
- 1 decade ago
Carter was not the one to open diplomatic relations with China. I remember Nixon's trip to China quite well.
The debates when Nixon went were most conservative and moderate Republicans and the Conservative Democrats were against any President going to a communist country because we thought they would try to control us. (We were right but just not in the way they would, we never dreamed of economic control) The liberal Republicans and liberal Democrats welcomed Nixon's trip to China as a diplomatic coup.
- witmerLv 43 years ago
ok, at the starting up there's no "atheist chief". Atheists aren't any more a homogeneous crowd in any respect. the in simple terms element we fairly have in basic is that we do not have self belief in any gods. otherwise there are as many diverse "kinds" of atheists as there are kinds of folk. some (plenty) are scientists, some are instructors, some love negative fact television, some love monster truck shows and vote alongside conservative strains. some are gay, some are homophobic. some are aggressive about their atheism, some aren't any more. There are American atheists, and Canadian atheists, and English and Australian, and Swedish and Norwegian and Dutch and Spanish and on and on and on ... the in simple terms way lets have a "chief" is that if there replaced into actually a suitable election, and all of us agreed to make sure with the help of the end result. are you able to please provide a link to this weblog?