Okay, Serious Question For Vegetarians...?

One of the offshoots of miss.nomer has been posting about vegetarians not really caring about the animals because they still eat eggs and dairy. People get really pissed off, but no one ever addresses that question. I'm sure my fellow vegans are also curious as to why vegetarians who become vegetarian for... show more One of the offshoots of miss.nomer has been posting about vegetarians not really caring about the animals because they still eat eggs and dairy. People get really pissed off, but no one ever addresses that question. I'm sure my fellow vegans are also curious as to why vegetarians who become vegetarian for ethical reasons still continue to contribute to the terrible conditions and animal abuse when it comes to eggs/dairy.

I'm not here to judge, I'm not here to argue. I'm just here to ask and am hoping for serious, thought-out replies. Thanks and namaste.
Update: KELLY B: I know first-hand that vegetarianism doesn't have to be a pit-stop on the way to veganism...I quit cold turkey (or would that be cold banana?) in one night.

Also, wouldn't confining cows/chickens in cramped, unsanitary conditions while taking their children be "obvious cruelty"?
Update 2: RAWR RYAN RAWR: Unlike all the other answers here, you're actually trying to justify your love for dairy. You are aware that the animals suffer greatly, and that the dairy industry directly contributes to the veal industry, right?
Update 3: To let you know, I haven't given a thumbs down and will only do that for members who are trolling.

Also, let me reiterate that questioning motives isn't the same as talking down to someone. I thought I made that clear, but one answer has me wanting to repeat this.
Update 4: KELLY B: ...that was an attack? I responded to a couple things you said, and that was an attack? Can we all please try to just address the issue without getting butthurt? Thanks.
Update 5: MISS.NOMER GOES DISNEY: I believe the user you're thinking of is something like MOOVE OVER BOTTOM CONTRIBUTOR!! or some such moniker.
Update 6: TRANSISTOR SECT: Interesting answer, to say the least. I did want to touch on this: "Passing up on a veggie burger that contains egg whites for a plain salad or baked potatoe does nothing to show that there is a market for vegetarians/vegans." That's correct. So do neither and call the company and... show more TRANSISTOR SECT: Interesting answer, to say the least. I did want to touch on this: "Passing up on a veggie burger that contains egg whites for a plain salad or baked potatoe does nothing to show that there is a market for vegetarians/vegans."

That's correct. So do neither and call the company and ask that they switch to a vegan veggie burger if they want your business. A local hamburger chain did just that after one of my vegan buddies kept writing letters. If you really want to make an impact in "the long run" as you kept mentioning, you'll need to do more than just passing on the meat. That's why veg*nism and activism go hand-in-hand :)

Also, I work 3 jobs and am vegan and find no problem being vegan in an omnivore's world. I think that's just a cop-out to give up like that if you really feel conflicted.
Update 7: BRIACASS: Thanks, I knew to expect some "OMG SHUT UP" answers...at least they're written out instead of just "OMG SHUT UP." Now, you mentioned that you're aware of how bad the dairy industry is...so how do you justify cheese? To me, that's like saying, "It's really... show more BRIACASS: Thanks, I knew to expect some "OMG SHUT UP" answers...at least they're written out instead of just "OMG SHUT UP."

Now, you mentioned that you're aware of how bad the dairy industry is...so how do you justify cheese? To me, that's like saying, "It's really terrible and cruel what they do to the animals...but damn, cheese is just so good, it's worth what they have to go through so I can eat it."

There are a huge variety of artisan vegan cheeses available, but it's usually by mail order. If you're a true cheese fan, like me, then that is probably right up your alley. I always paid extra to get the "good" cheese because I love matured flavors...switching that to vegan delicacy cheese was easy for me. Maybe give that a go?
Update 8: I find it interesting that, in justifying dairy/egg consumption from non-kind sources, some are comparing veganism to things like giving away all your money to charity instead of just donating some. Why do some think that veganism is OMG EXTREEEEME TO THE MAX instead of just "vegetarian, minus the eggs, dairy,... show more I find it interesting that, in justifying dairy/egg consumption from non-kind sources, some are comparing veganism to things like giving away all your money to charity instead of just donating some. Why do some think that veganism is OMG EXTREEEEME TO THE MAX instead of just "vegetarian, minus the eggs, dairy, honey, and animal products"?
Update 9: DESPERATE4YANSWERS: "Eating eggs and dairy is fine as it does not cause any hurt or does not kill an animal. " Actually, it does. Not only are the animals raised in terrible, unsanitary, inhumane conditions, but the dairy industry contributes directly to the veal industry, and millions of baby male... show more DESPERATE4YANSWERS: "Eating eggs and dairy is fine as it does not cause any hurt or does not kill an animal. "

Actually, it does. Not only are the animals raised in terrible, unsanitary, inhumane conditions, but the dairy industry contributes directly to the veal industry, and millions of baby male chickens are killed as part of the egg industry.
Update 10: Oh, and there are people who are into bodybuilding as vegetarians and vegans. I'm vegan and into bodybuilding...check out veganbodybuilding.com
Update 11: BRIACASS: "Would you care to give examples of places i could order vegan cheeses?" There are many places online that you can purchase from, and simply asking your local groceries to carry them usually ends up in your local groceries carrying them. I don't see what the OMG HUGE DEAL about cheese... show more BRIACASS: "Would you care to give examples of places i could order vegan cheeses?"
There are many places online that you can purchase from, and simply asking your local groceries to carry them usually ends up in your local groceries carrying them.

I don't see what the OMG HUGE DEAL about cheese is anyway. It's good, I'll get it when I can, but I don't have to live with the stuff. I cook well enough that I don't need the help.
Update 12: HEAVEN: "So by your logic and way of thinking, if I can't save all the animals in the world, it is pointless to save any? That doesn't make sense." Of course it doesn't make any sense...I never said or implied that at all. This knee-jerk reaction is what happens when people encounter... show more HEAVEN: "So by your logic and way of thinking, if I can't save all the animals in the world, it is pointless to save any? That doesn't make sense."

Of course it doesn't make any sense...I never said or implied that at all. This knee-jerk reaction is what happens when people encounter cognitive dissonance. All I was asking is why people who go vegetarian "for the animals" don't go vegan instead.