Jacky W asked in TravelAsia PacificChina · 1 decade ago

Is Mandarin Harder Than cantonese?

Which one is harder?

Mandarin or cantonese?

Favorite Answer

Mandarin, since itis the basic form of chinese which has only four tones

as you see, mandarin is the most use language around the world

Cantonese is more difficult as it has 8 tones. That means, one single vocal expression (or sound) has 8 tones.

As for mandarin, only 4 tones, which is already complicated enough for the learner.

Both Cantonese and Mandarin share the same written characters, but there are Chinese characters in Cantonese which are not used in Mandarin.

A Cantonese speaker can understand "Mandarin Chinese Characters" IN SOME CASES, there are some Cantonese characters that a Mandarin speaker might not understand.

i.e. The word "WHY" in Mandarin = 为什么 whereas in Cantonese = 点解. A Mandarin speaker who has no idea of Cantonese can never understand this written character.

P.S. I speak and write both Cantonese and Mandarin perfectly well. More fascinated by Cantonese. However, I suggest you learn Mandarin first and Cantonese later as 99.9% of Chinese (I think) understand Mandarin.

• Wang Z

The cantonese is harder. Mandarin has 4 tones as Cantonese has 9 tones.

Mandarin is easier in comparison because it has a pinyin system design to teach foreigners to study and like what others were saying - there's 4 tones vs cantonese 9 tones. Cantonese is harder to learn if don't know any asian languages. I've got a relative that's Japanese and she picked up Cantonese just fine.

OMG...they are totally different.. I am a Chinese&I speak Mandarin,but I'm still learnin' Cantonese...&many people speak fluent Mandarin have to LEARN Cantonese from the very beginin' U know... They sound not the same,(actually I like Cantonese..xp)Cantonese sound not as "plain" as Mandarin... I think if U can speak fluent Mandarin,U can almost understand the Candonese,but not ALL!!!

Definitely Mandarin is easier to learn & speak due to the fixed pronunciation and rules. You could speak Mandarin (Pu Tong Hua) directly from what is written or Vice-Versa.

However certain adjectives, or words can never be written in recognized Chinese Characters in the case of Cantonese language. Cantonese is the Vietnamese way of speaking Mandarin.

• Jing5 years agoReport

what the hell is that? cantonese is the viet way of speaking mandarin? sorry, cantonese has NTH to do w/ vietnamese! it's the wishful thinking of viet ppl only.

No, Mandarin is easier due to the fact that there are less tones than in Cantonese. On a related subject, traditional characters are more difficult to write than simplified

Source(s): lived in Taiwan for 5 years

it depends on situation around you.

I have lived in Guangzhou for 8 years, but i can not speak Cantonese yet. Only can know a little.

And a few local Cantonese even dont know Mandarin. A cleaning worker(cantonese) of our office speak very broken Mandarin.

If you want to find out Mandarin but you have no clue where to begin then a program for Mandarin is the ideal on the internet program for the novices because it truly starts with the basis.

• kelzer

What Is Mandarin

Mandarin is easier not only because of the fewer tones but because there are far more speakers and resources for learning.