question for mommies about what to wash before baby comes?? [new bby clothes..etc]?

so i have gotten aloottt of clothes for baby..

some used [washed] and some from store [new]

and also some blankets [new & used]

is it mandatory to wash all NEW baby things like blankets,socks, clothes,etc??

some of the packages say wash before use on them..some dont.

i dont know if it would irritate my babys skin or not if i put her in brand new clothes and use brand new blankets that havnt been washed yet.

???

also im 37 weeks 2 days and i feel like my baby will be here any day now and i really want everything to be ready :D

Favorite Answer

It isn't mandatory, no.

But yes it is advised... especially new and used clothes lol :) New clothes still have loose fabrics sometimes, unknown chemicals, and misc. stuff from packaging and if they were hanging in the store everyone has touched the fabric..

If they are used, you never know if the people before washed them, where they were, what they had in their home etc,...

I would was them just to be safe.. you never know.. I would rather waste the water and soap washing them rather than taking the chance there is something on them my new sensitive baby will react to.

Best wishes

Source(s): Mommy to 11 month old triplets
  • honey

I wouldnt wash everything right away. wait untill your baby is born, they dont wear alot of the clothes you get and if you have reciepts you can return the stuff you dont use to get bigger sizes or things you like. You will also find some things you dont like. I hated sleepers with collars, they always were rubbing on my sons face and i wish i didnt wash them so i could return and get some with out collars. If you have alot of 0-3 month clothes, you may use only half. so you can exchange them for bigger sizes.

A tip. My daughter was a 9 pounder and the 0-3 clothes were to big for her for about a month, so get some premie sizes. My son was 7lbs 11oz and wore premie sizes for 2 months.

Wash a few blankets, all the onsies, socks and burpy cloths, you can never have enough of them and some clothes. Just the things you know you will use.

congrats and good luck!

• lupa03

DON'T WASH ANYTHING!! I was told I was having a girl, and out popped a boy. And a friend of ours had the opposite happen. And another lady that gave birth the same day I did. It happens more than people realize. If you wash everything, you won't be able to return anything. If you already have used clothing, then wash that, and maybe just one outfit to come home in. Wait on the rest. Congratulations!

I would say wash all new stuff. You never know where it came from-Chances are it was manufactured in a factory overseas. You have no idea what the sanitary conditions in this factory were. Then it had to be shipped, and who knows what it came in contact with during that process.

I once bought a package of sleepers from Target. When I got home I noticed there was a large bug (not one I've ever seen before!) in the sealed package. The sleepers said they were made in Indonesia. I could not help but wonder what diseases and nastiness that bug was carrying.

Brand new clothes that haven't been washed have at least two potential problems. One is that many clothes come with "sizing", which helps them keep their shape during packaging and processing. This is really noticeable when clothes feel a little rough or stiff before washing and then feel fine after. Another issue is that new clothes, if you don't wash them first, have all of the junk they've come in contact with during packaging, shipping, and sitting on the shelf.

Wash everything. New clothes still contain the chemicals used in dyes... also think about where they have been along the process being made and shipped, so it's always a good idea to go ahead and wash them first.

its always good to wash things before wear/use.

there was a story in the paper last year about a teen who wore jeans that his mum bought him he ended up sick from some chemical left on the clothes. so i think its better to be safe.

but once nesting kicked in i didnt have a choice i HAD to wash everything. new or second hand.

i felt due to have my baby since 35-36 weeks im now 7 days overdue. do the washing at least it will keep ur mind off it (when ur not thinking about it prob more a chance of it happening)

Source(s): 7 days overdue

yes wash everything that will touch the baby. You may also want to wash the clothes that you are going to wear home from the hospital.

• Meesh

Wash everything especially the new stuff. Imports are treated with lots of chemicals to avoid bringing pests into a country.

Wash everything.

You never know where the cloths have been, who has handled them and what they were packaged in (as well as if they were chemically treated at some point)

wash everything.