Faust asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Is there a water heater for a plastic tank?

I have a plastic tank I bought for my betta. Unfortunately, the temperature of the tank at the moment is around 76 F and I know I need it 78-80.

I've been told there is no water heaters for plastic tanks, but I am sure there is someone out there using a heater in a plastic tank.

(Note: I've been told that plastic fish tanks can use heaters for hermit crab tanks. Is this true?)

Please provide links of maybe places I could find these products.

Favorite Answer

76F is actually an ok Temperature for a betta, although 79F-81F is ideal for tropical including Betta's 76F is fine. If you want to get your Temperature perfect most heaters are mad safe enough for plastic tanks. The only way I wouldn't use a heater in a plastic aquarium is if it specifically says on the package not to use with plastic tanks. If you find a heater and you are concerned the brand will usually have a costumer service so you could give them a call or email them to see if they would recommend using their heater with a plastic tank. Also if you go to petco.com and click 'Contact Us' on the bottom of the page you can email them and ask them if one of there heaters is alright for plastic tanks. Since you didn't tell how many gallons your tank is it will be hard to suggest a heater. Most plastic tanks are smaller so I will give you links to some heaters made for small tanks.

http://www.petco.com/product/102429/Hydor-Mini-Aqu...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_...

EDIT: Hermit Crab heaters are not ok for aquariums!

• perko

Plastic Tank Water Heater

76 is good but if you want to push it into the range then buy a hydor mini 7.5 watt heater it only heats a couple degrees F up. yeah refer to the sites the other guy gave and yes you can use the hermit crab heater but the only bad thing is if it goes out of control and gets too hot. but seriously 2 degrees does not make a difference to fish mine is at like 73 and is extremely active and healthy. if 76 is always your constant room temperature then you don't need to get a heater.

i does no longer whinge too plenty, using fact anybody will want plastic tasting water! What the heck are you doing eating warm water besides! maximum copper tube while extruded till now packaging to the merchants is wrapped in a plastic action picture & this is in all risk what your tasting, or possibly somewhat remains linked interior the cylinder.

Betta don't need heaters and it should be fine. You can do a slight water change to increase the water tempeture if you are that worried.

dont lissen to sarah you are right to ask a question betas do need HEATERS!!!!!!!