LGBT: Do you ever feel like life is ridiculous?

LGBT: Ok, this is the 3rd time to try to post this. Ugh. Do you ever feel like life is just a repetitive, ridiculous carnival? Sometimes, as a gay man, I look around myself and think about all the senseless homophobia, heterophobia, hate, bigotry, name calling, hype and nonsense and all I can do is either cry or kick back, put my boots up on the table and just laugh at the absurdity of it all.

Right now I'm kicked back and taking a break from the fight. Do you, my fellow gay, lesbian, asexual, tran/cisgendered, straight and just whatever-have-you friends ever feel like just taking a break from the insanity and doing nothing but laugh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiKOif0UKRM

Youtube thumbnail

Thank you,

Omega

Best Answer

I think we expect too much from life. People think life is meant to be happy and easy, and they forget that it's actually more of a constant struggle.

I totally know what you mean though. I just can't get over how unfair life is. Why are there so many kids who don't even make it to their fifth birthday because their parents can't afford to feed them properly, when there are people who spend more money in a week than they'll earn in a lifetime? Why are there people sleeping on the streets when there are others who have two or more houses, with more beds than they'll ever need? It seems selfish, in a way. Like my parents save up their extra earnings all year and spend them on plane tickets to Italy every summer. That money could probably feed a child for a year, and we'll use it to travel across the continent to see our family. It doesn't seem right, even though they earned that money, it's still complete chance that they were born into a situation where they had the opportunity to earn it.

And even when we live in a liberal, war-free country, with free education, food and water, shelter and great opportunities, we're still unhappy. I've seen/spoken to so many people on Y!A (and in real life too) who are desperately unhappy, despite having everything someone in a developing country would dream of. The amount of unhappiness I see on Y!A breaks my heart. I hate to see people so unhappy with their life that they just want to give up on it =[

But going back to what I said in the first place, I reckon the key to happiness is accepting that life is probably going to be difficult, and making the best of it. If you're always moaning about what you don't have, you'll never be satisfied with what you have already. People get mad when I tell them "remember that there's always someone who has it worse than you", but it's so true! I often complain about how rubbish my life has been recently, but when I think about it, there are people my age who would do anything to swap places with me and have what I have.

Wow, long answer lol. But I often think about this. It's an interesting topic =]

• Moo!!!

Honestly, Sainty, I don't get it, really. Life is ridiculous half of the time, but I am ridiculous the other half. And if I stop to think about any situation, I feel ridiculous.

In the end, I'm not sure what to make of it all. I can never say that there is a right path for life or a wrong one, but there isn't really a wrong one, either. So, I suppose that there might be some sort of personal value in life that I am missing. Maybe I am looking at a bigger picture than what really matters. Maybe I am looking too small, still.

But, those moments of pure laughter feel amazing, and I love those. So I understand what you are saying. But sadly, since I understand it, I cannot really answer the reasoning behind it- if that makes any sense.

But like life, it probably is just plain old ridiculous!

=)

How odd, Tristan, I accidentally killed a small frog when I was a kid too. I caught the tiny frog at the horse racetrack my mom used to go to and anyway I brought it home and I was giving it a bath in the sink. Well, I turned on the hot water and it came out too hot and the poor thing died. I felt really bad and sad at the same time! :( I also felt very guilty. I don't think it was because I knew I was "funny" either. I just felt bad for the frog. And I used to feel really bad and dirty after an orgasm. I think it was shame... and of course it was because I would fantasize about other guys, either the ones in my school or on tv or in magazine ads, and so that really made the guilt and shame double up! I felt filthy and thought that everyone could tell... But now I realize that it's a very necessary part of life and it feels good and there's nothing dirty or shameful about it. And nobody can tell, unless you tell them of course! :) BTW, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Sweetie! In case I don't talk to you before then.

• jazzyj

Yes, I'm straight and that's when I turn off CNN NEWS and take a break and try not to be so depressed about all the bad news!! And by the way, my favorite uncle was gay, " a Queen ", I would say and he was the most beautiful person in the world!! He passed away a few years ago, and I know that he is in " Heaven", because God judges us by our " hearts" which are filled with our love ,and the work that one has done on earth to help others!! So I judge people by their heart and character, and what does who someone is sleeping with have to do with anything? Don't worry about what people say and just " do you." And life isn't ridiculous, it's these ridiculously silly humans who have messed everything up. I say only women and gays in politics from now on!!..lol....I'm ranting!!

Yes. Life is ridiculous (to me at least) more than 50% of the time. I wish the people behind Tara J and DR DORIS would just sign off for good.

Jazzyj, I feel you. The other day when I turned the news on (for, what, in more than a month?) all there was, was death and despair. Depressing stuff. Come on, get that stuff of the air, and put something else up there.

The average adult laughs just 10 times a day.

The average adult is, generally, not that happy, from experience.

I laugh a good 10 times that amount.

I'm a hell of a lot happier than most adults I know.

I reckon the 2 are linked, you know? =]

I know this doesn't really answer the question, but I think laughing definitely helps things, provided you know when to stop taking things as a joke and start to look at things seriously...

But living with a positive attitude definitely makes things a lot easier =)

Source(s): Lucy =D

Yeah, man. I totally agree. I'm really tired of it, mostly because I'm not going to give up fighting for what I think is right. I'd like to not have to fight for things that shouldn't be thought of as wrong in the first place.

• jesse

oh all the time! there are times when i literally bust out laughing at something that seems so aweful. just because it is so ridiculous! i feel most at peace with everything when i am just hanging out with my best friend. just talking about whatever, and laughing at the absurdity of life.

Just laugh...I do.

You don't live for other people, you live for you. So what if not every person in the world loves you. As long as there are enough to make you happy, that's all that matters. Life does not suck. In fact, life is great.

Well I know all of that is around me but I don't really get out much to see it so I can only go on what I see around me at home or when I go out on Saturdays and I have little to complain about other than what -doesn't- go on in my life....