MEL asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Some good books to read for a college girl?

I'm in college and just wondering what would be some good books to read.. I like girly books, sometimes mystery too, I've already read twilight series so please don't suggest them.. but I want something that I probably haven't heard of..

Favorite Answer

I'm not in college yet, but I go to a boarding school and our alums have told us college is just as hectic!

I don't know if you like so-called kids books and teen books or not, but here are my suggestions for good books to read:

- A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole- It's a really funny book, but in a more subtle way than normal humorous books. Some people love it, and others can't stand it. It's just one of those books, I guess.

- Trickster's Choice/Trickster's Queen by Tamora Pierce - these two books are part mystery, part drama, part romance and part growing-up novel. They're really good, and very engaging! I can never put them down when I read them.

- The Luxe by Anna Godbergson - It's like Gossip Girl (the novels, not the spin-off TV show) only set in NYC in the Victorian Era. It's high class suspense and romance for the teenage set.

- The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory - A Historical Fiction Novel about three women in King Henry VIII's life. Two are queens, either in the time that the book takes place or almost directly afterward, and one is the sister-in-law to the former Anne Boleyn. It follows the three women as they try to escape the executioner's block and the struggles that they have to face to do what they think is the right thing.

Some other books you may enjoy, along the lines of Twilight and "Girly Books"

- City of Bones (I forgot the author- fantasy romance novel)

- Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (Vampires!)

- In The Lake of the Woods by Tim O'Brien (freaky murder mystery)

- The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston (novel about becoming your own person, told in short, fun stories)

- The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie (ironically funny stories about American Indians)

- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (classic love story)

- Gossip Girl

- The A-List

- Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (cute story that the movie was based on)

Hope that helps!

Source(s): I read a lot

Well, I'm sure you have already heard of this but Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell was one of the best books I have ever read. Even if you have already seen the movie, I would still recommend the book; it's amazing!

Some of Jodi Picoult's books are pretty good, fast reads. My favorite of hers are Nineteen Minutes and My Sister's Keeper. I'd also recommend The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. It's very well written and the love story between the two main characters is really sweet.

I am a college girl as well so here are a few books that I have really enjoyed:

The Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris (also about vampires)

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Children of Men by PD James

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

-The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

-The Shack

-The Notebook

-Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

-Speak

-Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

-The Bell Jar

- Atonement

Source(s): books i have read that are real good
  • jen

Jane Green and Sophie Kinsella were some of my faves. I really like Jodi Picoult now.

• The bridge on the Drina by Ivo Andric. You must read this. It is the best book i have ever read.

Source(s): me

Angels and demons was a good one...

deception point and digital fortress all by dan brown

gossip girl....my sis loves those....