Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

Why is there two different ways of spelling diarrhoea?

Some people spell it with an 'o' and some spell it without?

Is it a british/american thing?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It was originally spelt with the 'œ' ligature. These are generally kept in current spelling in British-English (albeit in a separated form). Spelling reform in America would no doubt have caused the 'o' to be dropped as it really adds no extra pronunciation value. You can also see this in other words such as manoeuvre, coeliac, amoeba, etc.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Languages evolve. They evolve and adapt to the times and other linguistic influences. English from England has also mutated over the years daniel456079. Take Middle English word "AXE"="ASK"(today). Today it would be considered "Bad" English and they mean something completely different when written. Now take an "original" language and transport it miles away from its"source". It is going to mutate even more and in different ways on how the original is evolving.

One accepted definition of Language is,"The method of human communication used by a particular community and country" I would add that language is first an oral expression. Writing is a symbolic representation of what we hear.

By the way, "NOT" is an adverb; "NO" can be a noun, an adjective and an adverb depending on the content.

Diarrhoea or Diarrhea at the end, is the same human,liquid substance.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, it's a British/American thing. There are many words that are spelled differently in the two countries. A bank check is spelled "check" in America and "cheque" in England. The rubber wheels for your car are spelled "tires" in America and "tyres" in England. The words are pronounced the same way, but spelled differently -- and each spelling is correct in its own country.

• huenke
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

How Do You Spell Diarrhea

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Your spelling is correct. Remember the following phrase to help with the spelling -

Dash In A Rush, Run Hard Or Else Accident.

People forget to use the "o" because it isn't sounded, that's all.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The correct way in british english is diarrhoea. the other spelling is american english.

• ?6 years agoReport

Thanks, I love you x

• Why can't it just be English and American NOT English and American English?

• 1 decade ago

Yes there are two one right the other wrong. The british one is right. The Americans don't know English properly. All the words ending in ight they alter to ite, eg nite lite, all the words with our they change to or eg labour labor. they have words like gotten which isn't a word at all, eg I have gotten a headache instead of I have got a headache. Then there is burglarised instead of burgled noo for knew, forchun for fortune. I am sick of computer spelling / date / grammar. And if you watch American documentaries the move everything into the present tense eg He went to the doctors and now he is getting his teeth done and he is sat in a chair which he is etc And it isn't American English it is English American style. Just like it would be Spanish American or Italian American. The Americans are taking over the world through the back door and the rest are follwing like sheep instead of rebelling against it.

Do they know the words isn't, hasn't, doesn't can't, haven't, without. it's always have no---, is no---, with no---. can no---. it's the verb that should be negated not the noun

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is probably a British/American thing, but to be honest can anyone spell diarrhoea, without looking it up.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i'm american, and i've only ever known it to be spelled 'diarhhea'

to daniel d -

whoa, dude! slow down. i don't hate the british. why do hate americans so much? because our version of 'english' has evolved differently than yours? chill. relax. smile. be happy.

:P

=aww

• Pete H5 years agoReport

I don't think either country spells it with two aitches.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.