michaela k asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Need help finding a book on japanese sword fighting!?

So my daughter's birthday is coming up and she wants a good quality bokken (wooden katana) and a book on japanese fighting. Where can I find a book that shows how to do basic japanese forms? I have no idea what kind of style to use. Please help me!!!

Best Answer

You don't give your daughters age, because I would recommend reading based on maturity, so after agreeing with the people who have said "you shouldn't learn from a book" I will add that before you spend a lot of money gaging your daughters interest, having her read a little on the subject is a good idea.

But before you have her learn forms, have her learn about the history and philosophy first (I am very big on the philosophy aspect), all of my students have understood and respected this.

Now...having said that....and hoping you take it to heart and you think she is ready for more than swinging a sword around and hurting herself and others......Books based on age, maturity and intelligence:

Young... 10 to 16 years ....Darrell Craig's book 'Iai: The Art of Drawing the Sword'

http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sk...

kind of young 13 to 18 : by Sensai Nicklaus Suino 'The Art of Japanese Swordsmanship: A Manual of Eishin-Ryu Iaido'

Sensai Suino was a teacher of mine, years ago, in Michigan and I recommend his teaching style. His school is now located in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

From 16 to death.....I recommend not reading just Miyamoto Musashi's writings, but about his life and his writings. An excellent translation and history is provided by Kenji Tokitsu in ' Miyamoto Musashi, His Life and Writings' http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sk...

All of these books are in my library and I refer to them often, as need arises, and I suggest that you read them as well as your daughter, so you will know how to answer her questions and concerns.

And of course, if she chooses to persue this, find her a good instructor.

Good Luck

Peace on your Path

Source(s): Practitioner: Musu Jikiden Eishin-ryu Iaido Shinkage-ryu Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu Juttejutsu Mugai-ryu

With out knowing if your daughter has any experience in a Japanese sword art I would have to say you would be MUCH better off finding her a Iaido or Kendo class. It is VERY important that she learns the proper ways to handle a sword or she will have a whole host of bad even dangerous habits she will have to unlearn later. I'm not saying a book is a bad thing in fact it can be a great help as a learning tool but it should never be used as a substitute for a knowledgeable instructor.

Source(s): I'm a Shodan (Black Belt) in Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido under Hanshi Toshiyuki Tateno.
  • chris

There's a very old book called "book of the five rings" by Shinmen Musashi (I think I spelled that right), he was a legendary japanese sword fighter, and I found it very much worth the read. It covers the basic forms he used, but also has a lot of philosophy about training, fighting and the "way of the warrior".

Dave Lowry, great author, have not read his book on Iadio but would recommend it for your purposes, yes those more experienced than me have good points about not learning from books but what if there simply is no other way? Hope that helps

• Terri

Good question. I lightsaber fight with my friends all the time (we use those $7 plastic lightsabers found at Wal-Mart, etc.), and I could possibly beifit from this question. Right now, I fight where I block with two sabers, then switch the right lightsaber so it's upside-down, then attack with that one. Pretty effective IMO, but I guess it takes skill to master whatever works for you. Anyway, that's all I have to say, thanks if you actually cared to read this! :-)

how old is she. if she is real young its not a good idea and learning from a book is never really a good idea you don't get the same motivation you would get from learning from a sensei. you should sign her up for some sort of martial art and go from there.