Just bought Wacom Intuos 4 Pen Tablet- horrible! Am I doing something wrong? Set up help?

I have a huge, old wacom tablet. I don't like it because it's massive. In school, we use smaller ones, with the drawing size abut 5 by 7. So I went out and bought a Wacom Intuos 4. It sucks! The pen is used as a mouse basically! I've never used a drawing tablet that acts only as a mouse. Okay,... show more I have a huge, old wacom tablet. I don't like it because it's massive. In school, we use smaller ones, with the drawing size abut 5 by 7.

So I went out and bought a Wacom Intuos 4. It sucks! The pen is used as a mouse basically!

I've never used a drawing tablet that acts only as a mouse. Okay, here's how a drawing tablet is supposed to work: if I click on the top of the tablet with the pen, the mouse will be on the top of the screen, if I click on the bottom of the tablet, the mouse will be on the bottom of the screen.

It helps with drawing.

Now with this device, it seems it doesn't matter where you put the pen, it just acts like a mouse. This seems so pointless.

Am I doing something wrong? I just want a normal tablet like what I have, but smaller, instead I got this mouse/pen.

Is there a setting I'm missing? Or are people really using this to draw? I can't stand it, like I said the point of a drawing tablet is to emulate the screen.