sonia v asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

perents think that you grab a bunny from the ears?

well my perents are really being dumb about this and i now that i can just tell them that grabbing a bunny from the ear can hurt them but they say thats how you grab one so i need you all to dicide is grabbing a bunny from the ears a good idea yes or no and they said that grabbing it from its back like the skin is a way to

just say yes or no if thats how you grab them and please include other information

i now that grabbing a bunny these ways are bad

its just evidence

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Rabbits are very delicate and can easily injure themselves if they are picked up wrong. A rabbit can break their own back or legs from struggling when someone does not handle them correctly.

The safest way to pick up a rabbit is to place them against your body(it makes them feel secure). One hand should hold the rabbit against your body, and the other should be under the rabbit at their feet.

Here are more complete instructions:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/handling.asp

• 1 decade ago

Grabbing a rabbit by the ears not only hurts but it can dislocate the rabbits ears from the skull. However grabbing the rabbit by the scruff is fine. It dies not hurt them as this is how the mother carries them around but I would not do it for a long period of time as it frightens the animal. It is best just to pick it up as you would a cat. Pick it up while supporting the legs with the back side up.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Grabbing a bunny by the ears is like grabbing a human by the ears. It's bad, and can seriously hurt the bunny.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I just left a rabbit farm today. We asked the lady who breeds the rabbits if it was ok. She said do not grab a rabbit by the ears. It will hurt them. She specifically said what it would do but i did not hear all of her explanation of it. So definitely no grabbing the bunny by the ears!!

Source(s): Bunny Breeder
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Rabbits should never be picked up by the ears, legs or scruff.When lifting your rabbit you should use two hands, one supporting the chest and one supporting the bottom. If your rabbit is small enough you can position the hand supporting the chest with you thumb over their shoulder for a firmer grip. Hold the rabbit with its head slightly higher than its bottom and with the bottom slightly tucked in. This will help prevent the rabbit kicking out backwards or trying to do a forward somersault

• 1 decade ago

NO! NO! NO! grabbing a bun by its ears is like having someone yank you off your feet by your head! Sounds like a good way to get a neck or back injury right? It sounds like someone may have watched to many Bugs Bunny cartoons. Please go to www.HRS.com the House Rabbit Society web page there you will find anything and everything you want to know about bunny care. Please educate your parents (most respectfully of course) in rabbit care and enjoy all the love, and fun buns can bring to you. Good Luck!!!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

NO! They probably think that way b/c of cartoons they have seen when someone is doing a magic trick & pulls the bunny out of a hat by it ears. It is not the right way to pick it up. The best way is to left it from under its belly.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

NEVER! It causes severe pain and discomfort for bunnies. You need to pick up the rabbit with 2 hands.....one under the bottom and the other supporting it's upper body.

The only reason that people THINK that rabbits are held by their ears is from magicians with their rabbit out of the hat trick.

PLEASE take care of your bunny by following these directions.

• 1 decade ago

It is very painful for rabbits to be picked up by the ears. There are a lot of nerve endings located in the ears. I have always cradled them when picking them up, just support their weight and feet.

• 1 decade ago

That is weird! Whenever I hold a bunny, I pick it from under the bunny snd pick it up. Picking it up by the ears can hurt it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.