Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 decade ago

Renting an apartment?

Im in college and I have been living in the dumb dorms and I hate it. I was looking into apartments close by my school and found a few good one. I have never rented an apartment and I was just wondering what are some questions I should ask are or information I should considered before making a deal or signing with the landlord???

Favorite Answer

I have rented a good amount of places in my life, so here it goes -

Understand your climate -

gas/oil heat is cheaper than electric, so if you live in a cold climate, know what heat is. Honestly, electric heat can be up to 300 a month for a small apartment in winter months.

Security deposit -

if there is a security deposit on the house, you should ask to do a walk thru with the realtor or the landlord. During this time, observe any problems that you see(ie. holes in the wall, lights that don't work, scratches in frig, anything) observe these and note them to the landlord or realtor. Make them remember you were doing your due diligence. Take pictures, either the day you move in or in front of the landlord. You need to get all your money back if the place is in the same condition when you leave. Pictures are key. Remember college landlords can be scumbags, and most are.

You can always take the advice of your parents and your own instinct-

Your parents will always want you to be safe and they will always want you to spend your money wisely. Your instinct will tell you if you should get a place or not, if there are doubts, always think twice about it.

Good luck. I had the best time in college. Have a great time.

Ask if water or heat is included with the rent. You could always look the area up online to see if there have been alot of crimes in that complex. If you want pets, you should ask if they allow them.