Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesBMW · 1 decade ago

What's the difference between a mini cooper s and a mini john cooper?

I'm looking into buying a mini cooper, and I was curious what's the difference between these two. Any information will help, thanks!

Best Answer

The cooper "s" is a turbo vehicle where the cooper is not turbo. The john cooper works or JCW package has a different turbo on it and the programming is different. You can get JCW brakes, suspension, steering wheel shift knob and much more. JCW is factory backed performance for the mini. the older minis (02-06) hardtops (R53) were supercharged the (02-08) convertible (R52) "s" was also supercharged. Now the (07-now) hardtop (R56) "S" is turbo and the (09-on) convertible (R57) "S" is turbo and the Clubman (R55) "S" is also turbo. Hope I have helped!

Source(s): I work on BMW/MINI for a BMW/MINI dealer.
    • Aimie4 years agoReport

Hi there, I am buying a mini and really fall in love with Cooper S but someone told me that cooper s is very fast, skittish and require a lot of sills to control as it easy to spin. Is it true??? Well I am slightly new driver as only been driving for about 5 yrs on and off I am a sensible 30s too

If the standard Mini Cooper S is a turbocharged go-kart with seating for four (barely), what do you get when you throw in a few more ponies, a snortin’ exhaust, a race-ready suspension and Brembo brakes? You end up with the Mini Cooper S John Cooper Works – a mouthful of words that puts the “zig” Cadillac never quite got into the already zig-a-licious standard Cooper S.

After a recent spin in the roomier Mini Cooper Clubman S John Cooper Works - that name will really drive the folks at the DMV nuts – we decided it was time to check out its shorter, more agile sibling to see if it possessed the same fun-to-drive spirit. A JCW convertible is supposedly coming soon, too.

The John Cooper Works Mini Cooper has more sporty options you could say.

It comes with a tuned engine, suspension, brakes, and a tuned chassis. It also has many carbon fiber trim pieces. (some are rather ugly. just my opinion)

The Mini Cooper S is a sportier version of the standard Mini Cooper. But it is not like the John Cooper Works. Like it doesn't have all those carbon trim pieces.

If I were you go with a Mini Cooper S. And if you don't like my advice go to the dealership and test drive both cars! Happy Shopping!

Basically, the mini has 3 performance levels: standard, "S," and JCW (john cooper works.) The JCW has a slightly more powerful engine, bigger brakes, a body kit, some different interior trim, etc. The S is probably a better bargain, but if you have your heart set on the mini and want to wring a bit more performance out of it (at a cost) the JCW is the way to go. Just be warned that at that price, you're pushing into baby-bimmer territory (a JCW coupe is a couple hundred more than a 128i)

The Cooper S is just the upgraded version of the standard Cooper and I think you are thinking of the Cooper S John Cooper Works edition. It's a limited edition version of the Cooper S that has many performance upgrades including brakes, transmission, suspension, and of course engine.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): 39 difference mini cooper mini john cooper: https://biturl.im/TklVk

Mini keeps innovating. One year it's the Clubman, the uber-cool “storm” door model. The next time around it's the John Cooper Works model named after the deceased famous racing car guru who with his father founded the Cooper Car Company in the 1946.

Available in the hardtop, convertible and Clubman models, the 2009 John Cooper Works further advances the Mini, now owned and marketed by BMW. It's compact driving machine features a 208-horsepower, turbocharged engine and six-speed manual transmission with larger, now standard 17-inch wheels.

The Mini Cooper S has the bigger 1275 cc motor in it.

Don't recall any Mini 'John' Cooper I think the word

'John' is perhaps slightly inaccurate.

Cheers BlueRobbinFlying

Source(s): 35 years Qualified Mechanic. Worked as Forman at Jag Dealership for a couple of years (Minis are hell to work on ) But so simple to repair, in as simple induction asperation avalabilty of parts. LeyCentre in Preston Victoria is the Dealership.

And puts you in an entirely different class in SCCA solo if you plan to autocross it. I think the S is D-Stock, wheras the JCW ends up in STX.