Why is C3po's leg silver?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

And now for the real answer.

According to George Lucas in the 70's and 80's

C3P0 was made from scrap parts, shown as in his early stages in Ep 2 when he first gets a body suit.

However, for some reason by story line it was never corrected when he was given the gold suit. By story line they did not have the gold leg so he was stuck with the silver one.

It had nothing to do with production problems. It was something that Lucas created.

• Login to reply the answers
  • savitz
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

C3po Silver Leg

• sajjan
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Silver C3po

• 1 decade ago

That bugged me for some time too when I saw the original flick.

I found the answer at a Sci-Fi convention many years ago. C-3PO appears to have a silver leg in a few scenes of Star Wars and a gold leg in most of the film. An avid collector showed me 2 pictures of C-3PO which were taken at the same time but with 2 different cameras in 2 different positions. One of the pics showed his leg as silver, the other showed his leg as gold.

The silver leg is an optical illusion - the leg is gold. The trick is played due to the angle of the lighting. A strong focused light "washes out" the color of the leg making it appear to be silver.

The old rumor that the costume department screwed up and didn't paint the leg properly (or that the wardrobe department used the wrong piece from the identical silver protocol droid) is false.

Although, there are many fans who will disagree. I have heard explanations that the silver leg was a replacement because C-3PO had his leg blown off between episode 3 & 4.

Source(s): Official Sci-Fi geek is me!
    • Sh!t5 years agoReport

It's not an optical illusion. The right lower leg is blatantly silver in certain scenes. Whoever told you / showed you pictures at that sci-fi convention was bullshitting you.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

C-3PO was completely covered in Gold plating in Episode III (Revenge of the Sith) as he was an Interpreter to Senators in the Galactic Senate. Somewhere between Episode III and Episode IV (A New Hope) C-3PO's left leg was implanted with a Bomb. But the leg was replaced by an unknown droid. But was replaced with a Silver leg as there was no gold parts available.

Source(s): wiki
  • 4 years ago

well if memory serves (something i heard not too long ago) There was some flaw when they originaly built him (either about paint or parts) and they ended up with silver and gold legs When they thought it back over thye decided it might look better to make the story that Anakin had run out of gold parts when it came down to the last leg.

• 5 years ago

Reality is slipping as the universe continues to expand into an endless infinity

Source(s): L$D
  • Sarah
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/I5QNn

star wars blows who cares? wanna Heini?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He lost it in a cat fight. It had to be amputated, and he got a replacment.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Are you sure it is? The rest of him is goldie coloured isn't it????

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.