Stuart asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

When did grappling lose its absoulte dominance in the UFC?

There were plenty of decent strikers in the early UFC but they all got owned by the wrestlers and the BJJ people; so when was it strikers were able to start actually fighting back I place it at the Coleman V Smith fight but was eearly or was that just a one off?

• Lycann
    Favorite Answer

MMA competitors understand that they have to be versed in both stand up and ground in order to compete today. In the early days a strike was less likely to have any ground experience and would quickly find himself like a fish out of water and submitted before he really knew what was happening.

Now, strikers may choose to not build on much ground technique but you can bet your bottom dollar that the smart ones are at the very least training to avoid going to ground and getting back up as quickly as possible.

I'm not sure how new this feature is, if at all, but since the UFC has become more mainstream I've heard about knock out bonuses for fighters that win with a big hit. This biases the sport to striking so a grappler could try to go toe to toe with a striker just for the chance at a higher pay out.

I haven't watched consistently enough to be able to comment on when strikers began to show up with cross training in grappling on a consistent basis.

Arguably, in the first match. Teila Tuli, a sumo wrestler, was kicked in the face by Gerard Gordeau, representing Savate (although he wore gi pants and was more decorated in Kyokushin karate). His tooth flew out and the ref stopped it.

Although generally, most people do credit the Coleman-Smith battle as being when grappling stopped being "enough". Chuck Liddell's victories over Randleman, Bustamante, and Ortiz pretty much cemented that. Or, a little farther back, maybe Bas Rutten's wins over TK or Randleman (although I can't understand how he won that fight).

The lesson that shouldn't be missed: the "strikers" that beat grapplers trained grappling to the point where they could use it as part of their overall strategy.

Fighters have evolved.

Grappling is but a factor in the MMA equation in order to win nowadays.

Source(s): my brain ;)