What is death like for a leukemia Patient?

I have a friend who is has leukemia (i think it is ALL or AML but i am not quite sure he was half asleep when i asked him) I want to know what exactly do they die from? i know death is part of the cancer but what exactly kills them? and i want to know what death is like for them... is it painful is it more commonly in sleep? how accurate is the life expectancy? If any one knows these answers or know a website or book that has some or all of these answer i would greatly appreciate it...

i know it sounds extremely morbid but it is what is going through my head... i want to know these things becuase it will help me, but i dont htink i am the only person in the world that wonders this... but i cant see not wanting to kno... i am going to look til i find answers

Thanks for that infomation but that is the same infomation that i have read many many times.... but thanks for trying

Favorite Answer

Cancer of any kind is dangerous - there is no such thing as a good cancer. Leukemia takes lives of children and adults every day but at the same time, there are many survivors that are in remission and doing very well. The most common cancer for children and young people is leukemia, and the most common type of leukemia is called either Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia, or Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). How well a patient does depends on so many different factors including age, cell counts, what type and subtype of leukemia he or she has, the will to fight, and so many other factors.

My son E was diagnosed with a Wilms' Tumour as a newborn, won his battle, and was recently diagnosed with Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). AML is related to ALL but is still quite different. His cancer is most likely a secondary cancer caused by the chemotherapy his first time when he fought Wilms. E somehow passed his screenings he has every 3 months back in October but in the end of November we started to notice he wasn't quite himself, and he was diagnosed December 19th.

There are lots of symptoms of leukemia but each individual is different. Some display some symptoms while others display other ones. E had a cold in November that he just couldn't kick. We took him to the doctor and he was given an antibiotic. He got a little better but as soon as he finished the antibiotic he got sick again. He usually has a couple bruises here and there since he is a 2 year old. His walking was greatly affected from one of the drugs in his first chemo cocktail so he trips and falls pretty often. But the bruising he had was more than usual - he bruised at the slightest bump. That's when we really knew something was wrong and took him to the doctor again. Once he was diagnosed we found out that his spleen and liver were enlarged - also symptoms of leukemia. Due to the extent of enlargement of his spleen, he had it removed after a round of chemotherapy. So far he has had 3 strong doses of chemo, 1 consolidation dose, and he's labeled as being in remission! He still has 3-5 rounds of consolidation chemo left just to make sure all of the cancerous cells are gone.

A leukemia diagnosis is absolutely not a death sentence. It's treatable but you have to keep in mind that it does take lives. I know many children and adults that have gone on to live completely normal lives after getting their No Evidence of Disease (NED) status. Sometimes a patient does relapse but it is absolutely possible that he or she can reach remission and eventually NED status.

I hope this helped you out some. If you have any more questions feel free to email me (crazycanuckj@yahoo.ca) or IM me (crazycanuckj).

Source(s): My 2 year old son is a warrior who beat a Wilms' Tumour and is currently battling Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. http://www.caringbridge.com/visit/warrioreli

grandpa was diagnosed with skin cancer five years ago at 86 years young. He was always so active and on the go. That was in the spring. That summer they found the leukemia

The same year in the fall he came down with pneumonia and Christmas was a double bypass and pacemaker. The spring after the skin cancer diagnosis they could not find any health issues. A year and a half ago his white blood cells went down again. He has fought so hard but is more and more tired. Today my dad called me from Indiana and asked me to come home from AZ to see him. His white cell count is >.01 and while he was awake a little today and they gave him blood, it isn't good. Hopefully, I will be there tomorrow but after everything I've read it might be too late. Grandpa seems to be in good spirits when he is awake. Dad said hell isn't in pain and is just sleeping all of the time. I can only pray the blood they gave him allows him one more good day before he goes. I know how much it would mean to my grandma.

no really good answers here. My dear mom is dying of Leukemia and there are many stages. Pain and Meds cause a personality change - then there is lots of agitation and confusion as there is not enough blood or oxegen to the brain. lots of pain and a loss of appetite and weight loss. throwing up. exhaustion and unable to go for any more transfusions. YOu know first you need your blood checked then if the doc orders the transfusion you have to go get typed. then the next day you have to get the transfusion. Then you are practically dead from exhaustion. In home care, Hospice, family, everyone starts to fall apart.... Its confusing for everyone and the dying person knows it..... then a decision is made to not do any more transfusions. Then the person starts to sleep a lot. - thats when it temporarily gets more peaceful. A person may ralley again... or not. They may slip into reflexive breathing and coma. Then they pass. My mother told me it wasnt gonna be pretty. She is now going to have a pain patch and a swallowing evaluation. I love her and would trade places with her in a minute if I could......

Death from AML leukemia can be peaceful. In the final stages, your bone marrow has completely stopped functioning. Your blood counts begin sway towards high percentages of poor cells. You sleep long periods of time. Your red cell count plummets and you begin to have organ failure. You go into a deep state of unconsciousness and ultimately die from low counts and infection. This happ no in a quick and rapid manner.

Let me start off by saying that the doctors had a hard time deciding if my mother had multiple myeloma or leukemia. Her symptoms included chronic bladder infection, unexplained weight loss, shortness of breath and fatigue. My mother had multiple blood transfusions. The doctors told us that as a result of so many blood transfusions she developed a certain anti body. As a result of this strange anti=body she had to receive her blood type with this antibody in it. Just her blood type was not working. In the end the doctors still did not know if my mother had multiple myeloma or leukemia. It became harder and harder to find my mother s blood type with the anti=body included. Her spleen had swollen to the size of a basket ball and the next day they were going to remove her spleen. My sister and I knew she would not survive that surgery. The next day came and she needed a blood transfusion. They could not find a match and at 7:50PM on September 9th, 2010 my mother

passed. That was the hardest day of my life. My mother would always correct me because I would say she was born on September 9th, 1937, and she would say "No Renee, I was born on September 1st." She was conscious and aware that we were there. On her way out of this world she gave one last hand squeeze.

My loved on died from myelodyplastic syndrome - AML. He was very tired, getting worse over the past year. Then the platlet count was so low they began an Aranesp injection every 3 weeks. He received only 5 because his platlet count went down to 2. His cancer doctor said he must begin Hospice Care that same day. Day one and two he was very weak and tired, but ate a little. Day 3 he mostly slept, but came down to the living room to watch a movie. Day 4 he used a walker to get to the bathroom. That night at 11pm he woke us up with violent dry heaves. A pill of Promethazine stopped that. He then barely slept, began to moan, was very restless and spilled water trying to take a drink. I slept on the floor outside his room. At 4am he had diarrhea with blood in it. The hospice nurse came, attached oxygen and we began giving him meds to control the pain and restlessness. He continued to decline in a somewhat restless sleep for 19 hours until death. So from the doctors office Thursday - to death on Tuesday at 1:30am. He was 87. Other factors that may or may not have anything to do with this is, he drank some alcohol almost daily for the past 40 years, had his gallbladder removed 5 years ago, was diagnosed with Asbestosis, and Interstitial cystitis, low blood pressure, arthritis and nummular dermatitis. And his wife of 68 years marriage had just died 2 months prior.

• kelzer

Can You Die From Leukemia

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I have a friend who is has leukemia (i think it is ALL or AML but i am not quite sure he was half asleep when i asked him) I want to know what exactly do they die from? i know death is part of the cancer but what exactly kills them? and i want to know what death is like for them... is it painful is...

Source(s): death leukemia patient: https://tr.im/lbKVC

All the above information isn't ;helping me much. My only sibling has Leukemia and was given three months. She has lasted 20 months, but now seems to be close to the end. She is sleeping a lot, get short of breath, and get transfusions about twice a week. She spikes a temp off and on. She has a terrible cough. Will we have time to be with her when she dies, or is it more likely she will just go to sleep and never wake up, She is at home, intends to stay at home with care.

First off, symptoms of leukemia can include:

Fatigue, discomfort, excessive bruising, abnormal bleeding, weakness, weight loss (also, once on treatments and meds, they can gain weight/get swollen or lost weight), infection, fever, bone/joint pain, they might feel pain or a "fullness" in their stomach, headache, nausea, enlarged spleen, lymph nodes, and liver...

That can give you some what of an idea of how your friend is feeling.

Survival rates in leukemia have risen dramatically in the last 40 years with improvements in diagnosis and treatment.

In 1960, the overall 5-year survival rate for all leukemias was about 14%. It is now about 50%. Five years is a common life expectancy, but everyone is different.

Death by leukemia happens a lot by the body not being able to fight off infections and illnesses because of low white blood cell count. There are other reasons though..

Include at the very least 10 to 15 grams involving protein, which suppresses ghrelin, a new hormone that stimulates your desire for food. Include eggs, which are which may control hunger.