What's the benefit of a steam room at your Gym?

Is it also benefitial to take a shower right there in the gym after using the "Steam room" and use their swimming pool ?? . I feel disgusted sometimes, when I look at their swimming pools. .

What are your thoughts?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • ChrisP
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A steam room is a type of a heat bath. All heat baths, including steam rooms, saunas, and hot tubs, have these benefits:

+ Regular users are less anxious and have a general feeling of well-being after taking a heat bath.

+ It exercises your skin, your body's largest organ, giving you a healthy glow.

+ It is a unique form of cardio exercise, where your heart rate increases while your other muscles are at rest. A heat bath session burns about as many calories as a brisk walk for the same amount of time.

+ It has a cleansing affect on your body, as sweat is a very efficient means for your body to expel waste products, especially metabolic wastes.

+ Heat bathing can help your body expel other environmental toxins that get stored in your fatty tissues.

+ When used in a heating / cooling cycle, it can exercise your blood vessels, helping to lower your blood pressure.

+ Humid atmospheres can help alleviate upper respiratory congestion.

+ It boosts your immune system: Regular sauna users are half as likely to catch a cold according to a recent Austrian study.

The high humidity of a steam room can also help relieve upper respiratory trouble.

You should always shower to wash the sweat off of you, to cool your body down, and to help you rehydrate after any type of heat bath. A quick shower before can help you get sweating faster too.

As for the pool, you should talk to the gym's management about your complaints. A poorly maintained swimming pool can be hazardous to your health. It's also a sign that other areas, especially the steam room, may not be well cleaned.

• 1 decade ago

Steam rooms are awesome, you can burn up to 800 calories in the steam room, not to mention it sweats all the toxins out of your skin. If the rest of it (pool and showers) grosses you out then don't go. They are there for convenience and you don't have to use them if you don't want to but I would definitely use the steam room if I were you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.