My horse has SEASONAL allergies...?

i guess i would consider them moderate to severe. he has began head tossing (while riding) his eyes and nose are runny (clear, not green/yellow as if he were sick) and he itches his eyes and nose and face for what seems like forever!! he normally loves being pet and scratched on his face but now seems to be... show more i guess i would consider them moderate to severe.

he has began head tossing (while riding) his eyes and nose are runny (clear, not green/yellow as if he were sick) and he itches his eyes and nose and face for what seems like forever!! he normally loves being pet and scratched on his face but now seems to be irritable to it.

anyway, is there anything i can do to help him? i have talked to my vet a LITTLE about it and he has a crappy outlook on it, like because there is no guarantees he can be helped its like he wont even bother? he is my day to day vet. i normally dont use him for lameness etc. he is 4 miles down the road though so he does vaccinations and emergencies etc. anyway, i know there is no guarantee that he can be helped but he is such a great horse that i think that allergies is such a BS excuse for "early retirement".

i guess my question would be...what are some things i can do to help him? does anyone else have a horse with seasonal allergies? what do you do for them? i am investing in one of those nasal nets (for riding) and i think it may help. but i want my horse to be comforable ALL the time. not just while riding.

p.s. he is not sensative to the sun as i put a fly mask on him and he still does it. i have done the research and i am positive it is seasonal allergies as i have tried everything from riding him completely tackless (not even a halter or saddle) and using a fly mask etc.
any help would be great....
Update: Kazee: oh how i love google. why i didnt find all that i dont know! haha thanks!!

amy: my horse does not have skin allergies.