Beatrice Arthur on "The Young and the Restless"?

With the unfortunate passing of TV and Broadway actress Beatrice Arthur over the weekend, and knowing that she was one class act, it had me wondering one thing.

What would "The Young and the Restless" have been like if Bea had been chosen to play Katherine Chancellor instead of Jeanne Cooper? Or, if after "The Golden Girls," Bea came on this soap playing Katherine's long lost sister or relative who would help her with the business of Chancellor Industries. Would she have done something to liven up the show? Would you have fallen for her character the way everyone had with Katherine/Jeanne Cooper?

I'm sure that with Beatrice's sharp-tongued acting, Jill would've had her hat handed to her years ago, and therefore, be less of an annoyance and ***** that she is now. And she would have had Victor Newman scared for his life, especially if she put on some threatening glare. Perhaps if she brought a son along to work with her, then SharHo would've fooled around with someone else, and be that man's problem, as opposed to having viewers be subjected to ten years of her farce of a marriage to Nick, and we wouldn't be putting up with anything resembling a Shick reunion right now. Of course, then Noah wouldn't have been born, but still, this would've been a better idea.

Oh yes, Bea Arthur would've made this soap something better, I imagine.

Best Answer

I hadn't heard about Bea Arthur's death. I'm very sorry to hear that. I liked her a lot.

She would have made a great addition to the show. I think Y&R or any soap is much richer for having older characters on the show. It really adds something, in my opinion. Just look at what great story lines they have made for Kay over the years. Her connecting with Mac for the first time several years ago was a wonderful story. I know I had a good relationship with my grandparents and was able to tell them things I couldn't always tell my parents. I miss them very much now.

She certainly would have had good scenes with Jill! I would have loved to have seen her tell Jill off! Fiery, older women are great....

Thanks for letting me know. You have some great ideas here - you should be on the Y&R writing team!!

Beatrice Arthur Young

I love Bea Arthur, and the Golden Girls, and Y&R, so I think it would have been wonderful to have had her on the show. I think she would have made it something better. But I do love Jeanne Cooper as Mrs.C so I wouldn't want to lose her. I'm going to miss my favorite Golden Girl!

I sooo agree, in fact Bea Arthur would have made a great addition to any show she would have appeared on.. What a classy lady she was..

Bea Arthur was a class act and would make everything she touched a success. She was just one of those people.

Yes Bea would have been a bonus to the Y&R. So sorry she's gone.

• I agree with you...it would have definitely been an interesting idea to have had her play on there. To be cast as Katherine's long lost sister would have been PERFECT!

I love Golden girls i watch it every day but theres only one Mrs C and That Jeannie

she would have been a great mrs.c they have a lot of similarities. i loved her as maude. she will be missed. 86 years of living aint bad.

She maybe would have been but a good Mrs.C. but she would have been a even better sister.