what is a good point and shoot camera?

I am in the market for a digital camera and i am very new at this since its my first digital camera. and it must have digital stabilization and be able to take videos. All i know is i dont want a dslr because of their size. and please no websites that offer tips on buying a digital camera because ive gotten plenty of those. I am just looking for your opinion thanks.

Favorite Answer

As an advanced photographer with two pro DSLRs and an array of lenses I was looking for a light compact camera that will still have some of the features I am so used to from my DSLRs. This camera has the best lens in the industry bar none. Leica is superior to any other compact point and shoot lens out there (except other Lumix cameras that all use a Leica Lens). The camera is fast wt start up and can take 3 FPS in sports mode. It packs a 10X optical zoom and on the TZ5 can go up o 17X with some resolution loss. I never use Digital zoom as I do not consider it a zoom.

The Camera ergonomics is great, may of the features photographers need are easily accessible and well though of. I have been using the TZ3 for 2 years and took more than 10000 pictures with amazing results. I take many night shots and this is really where this camera excels. It can take 15, 30 and 60 seconds exposures which no other compact can do.

Battery life es very acceptable. A second battery is a recommended inexpensive accessory. The camera build quality is good, durable materials and high quality. I have evaluated a huge number of cameras and the Lumix comes on top by far based on its image quality, image stabilization, optical zoom, Leica superior lens, form factor and overall value. The closest camera you can get with similar performance is the Canon SX 100 IS. It is bigger, bulkier, heavier, much much slower and costs about the same. When it comes to compact point and shoot with advanced features and a hefty zoom nothing beats the Lumix.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5A 9.1MP Digital Camera with 10x Wide Angle MEGA Optical Image Stabilized Zoom

Price: $219.95

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-TZ5A-Digital-O...

If you are really on a budget and want the best quality for the money, check out the P&S Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 [with a Leica lense] which has more features than most pro DSLRs that require auxiliary lenses not even equal to the single initial full-range lense that comes with the FZ28. It is reviewed at:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/panaso...

It just came out on November 4, 2008.

It's an all-in-one 10.1 megapixel digital camera which includes (i) built-in image stabilization; (ii) HD720 quality video [Quicktime] which permits zooming while videoing skateboarding, action sports; (iii) a 18x zoom [27 - 486 mm (35mm equiv.)] "Leica" lense for nature and concert photography; (iv) up to 0.39 inch macro option; (v) up to 6400 ASA; (vi) takes up to 380 pictures per 120 min. battery charge; (vii) has a "burst speed" of 13 fps; and sells new for $270 at amazon.com. in the U.S.

Here's an actual handheld picture of the moon:

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/bf/...

Good luck!