Jamie H asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 1 decade ago

What to use instead of somethings to go green?

I need some products (like the light bulbs) that you could use instead of using some not-so-green products. If possible give me the website you used to find these.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Since you already know about cfls how about smart strips to kill phantom loads, rain barrels, clotheslines, and some very inexpensive changes around the house (under $50) like cleaning refrigerator coils, changing ac/furnace filters as scheduled, setting back the thermostat, intalling good weatherstripping around doors, caulk around windows, gaskets around electrical outlets and light switches that are located on exterior walls, room occupancy sensors.

Here are some sites with the above ideas and as always my favorite general list

• 1 decade ago

Everything we use or consume has an impact on the planet. The resources used to make it, the enegy consumed by using it, the waste created from it etc. One of my favorite websites is www.biggreenpurse.com, it talks about helping the environment with what we buy. Here are a few ideas: First just buy and use less, most of us can do fine with a few less shirts or jeans etc. Replace disposable with reusable, use a real plate instead of paper or plastic, use a kitchen towel instead of paper towels etc. Look for ways to reduce packaging, food is a great place to start. I buy a variety of things in the bulk bins, pasts, grains, cereal, dried fruit, spices, sugar, flour etc. I also buy a lot of what I called real food, I don't buy much packaged or processed foods, these are much more expensive and often don't save cooking time.

Another area is your cleaning and beauty supplies. We wash tons of toxins down our drains and we are polluting our water ways with all the shampoos, bathroom cleaners and the antibacterial soaps we use. The FDA doesn't regulate these areas very well and they can have a variety of chemicals in them that they don't have to tell you about. I use vinegar and water to do most of my cleaning or a sink of hot soapy (castille) water. I use the skindeep cosmetics data base to see what is in my beauty products, I avoid hormones, parabens and a variety of other harmful chemicals that are routinly used.

• 1 decade ago

Check out the "Green" section of Yahoo!. It lists many ways to green a certain area (ie: computers, light bulbs, organic foods, etc.)

• 1 decade ago

One way to go green is to save water. Fresh water shortage is a growing problem in the world. By installing a few water effective devices in your home, you can help save gallons of water per day! Products like low flow toilets and shower head, faucet aerators, smart sprinkler controllers, water efficient washing machine and dishwasher, all help save water. In fact this will also help reduce your water bill, so that you can save some bucks too! Here are some tips on how to save water - http://www.bewaterwise.com/tips01.html\

Hope this helped!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The most basic green-products are perhaps the CFLs, which can save around 75% of your lighting costs in most cases.

Refer "CFL" on "Wikipedia" if you'd like to learn more 'about the lamp'.

Source(s): (General knowledge in electronics)
  • 1 decade ago

walmart sweety

and if not

big lots home depot.

and you can just google go green home attire and gets alot of new nick nax

• 1 decade ago

BLACKLE IS THE BIGGEST ENERGY SAVING website IN THE WORLD.

IT IS EXACTLY LIKE GOOGLE AND IS OWNED BY GOOGLE INC.

IT SAVE ENERGY EVERY SECOND ALL OVER THE WORLD BESTBESTBESTBESTBESTVBESTBESTBESTBESTBESTBESTBESTBESTBESTBEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!use that insetad of gooogle

• 1 decade ago

Please check out www.vcclighting.com

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.