How much actual "Combat-related" training and/or activity does a Chaplain Assistant experience?

I am writing a novel with one of the main characters as a Chaplain Assistant. I'm conducting significant research on Chaplain Assistants - specifically the "Combat-related" aspects of the position. Can they attend additional tactical (such as Ranger or Airborne) training? How much... show more I am writing a novel with one of the main characters as a Chaplain Assistant. I'm conducting significant research on Chaplain Assistants - specifically the "Combat-related" aspects of the position. Can they attend additional tactical (such as Ranger or Airborne) training? How much time/attention/training is delegated to combat activities? Do CA's receive any additional or specific training or carry/specialize in any particular weapons as the "protector" of the Chaplain in combat? Can or do they cross-train in field medicine? Can they volunteer for special units and/or "specialties" which place them closer to combat?

Essentially any information related to Chaplain Assistants, especially in the context of actual combat/warfare and protection/defense of the Chaplain is what I am in need of.

Thanks in advance for any info/assistance you can offer.