Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

How do you say "no regrets" in latin?

i want a tattoo that says that on my ankle. so i went online and found out the meaning . and it said "haud desiderium" but then my mom (who took latin in college) said that thats not what it meant. she says it means something like...no wishes. so im confused. is she right? or is the internet? . please help

Favorite Answer

Your mom's right. Desiderium is a weird translation - I'm not sure what that's got to do with regret, but I think the dictionaries mean it in the sense of "regretting that you've lost something" because desiderium really means "longing" or "desire." ("Haud desiderium" means "hardly any desire" - not something usually sought after in a tattoo).

"Nulla paenitentia" is probably the closest thing, but I'm not too keen on it. The problem is the sense of "paenitentia" shifted from the Roman era to the Christian era, so you could either read it as "no regret" in the Classical sense or "no repentance" in the Christian sense. The religious significance of the idea in Christianity kind of colors the term in a way that didn't exist in the pagan mindset.

• rud

Haud Latin

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How do you say "no regrets" in latin?

i want a tattoo that says that on my ankle. so i went online and found out the meaning . and it said "haud desiderium" but then my mom (who took latin in college) said that thats not what it meant. she says it means something like...no wishes. so im confused. is she right? or is the...

Source(s): quot regrets quot latin: https://tr.im/9msN5

There are many ways to say "no regrets" in Latin, especially because there are three different forms of Latin.

nullus desideria (no longings/regrets),

haud desideria (no longings/regrets),

sine desideria (without longings/regrets),

haud luctus (no lamentations),

nullus luctus (no lamentations),

sine luctus (without lamentations,

haud ploratio (no lamentations),

nullus ploratio (no lamentations),

sine ploratio (no lamentations), etc.