my 1 yr old? please help!!!?

well my 13 month old son is having this really bad cough. i gaved him medicine that doctor recommended but he still has it, i put vick on him and stll hasit, because he has a could too. He cant sleep at nigh because of his cold and stuffy nose, im going to take him to his pediatrition tomorrow morning. Does anyone have any advice of what i can do to stop his cough?

• SB
    Favorite Answer

Coughs are really hard...Vicks is good, and it's even better if you apply it after a really steamy shower. Take him in the shower with you, close the door, and really steam the room up. Our bathroom is really small, so I can turn the shower on really hot, close the curtain and simply sit on the toilet seat to get all the steam. Or you can just take him in the water with you. Stay as long as you can. Breathing the hot moist air is really good for his lungs. Motrin can also help decrease the inflammation in his air passages. In his crib, elevate the end where his head goes (if possible). It's easier to sleep with the head is higher than the rest of the body.

What also helps are Shower Soothers, discs that you put in the shower to make the steam even more effective (eucalytus smell). Or simply use eucalyptus oil (do not get directly on skin though).

Good luck -- I know what you're going through and it's not easy.

Well, since all else has failed to stop the cough and you can't get to the Dr until tomorrow, you can try some steam. It would be best if you have or could borrow a vaporizer. You can get some Vicks liquid to put in it and that really helps a lot. If you can't find a vaporizer you can take your little one into the bathroom, close the door, put a towel between the door and floor to seal it and run the bath full of hot water. You can put the Vicks liquid into this bathwater also. The steam helps to soothe the child's lung "hairs" and throat so he can quiet down his system long enough to get to sleep and to stop the cough. You can also call your insurance company's nurse (most of them have an RN on call to answer any questions) or call the pharmacy that you use and ask the pharmacist's advice. I would use the steam though as that really does soothe their systems, makes it moist so they can breath and keeps the air they breath moist so they don't get irritated and keep coughing. Best of luck to you with your son.

Source(s): My son was a very sick infant and toddler.

get saline nasal spray , its simply salt water ,

raise the head of the bed it keeps the mucus from causing the cough .

Cough drops are OK for older kids, but kids younger than 3 years old can choke on them. It's better to avoid cough drops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

use a cool mist Humidifier .

1 .if the cough seems worse

2 . its non stop or

3. his breathing seems shallow in any way take him to the hospital RIGHT AWAY , FOR ANY OF THE SYMPTOMS I JUST SAID, he could be having asthma attack , some children can have bronchitis ( a type of asthma) during colds only .

Source(s): RSV is going around , keep an eye on him and always error on the side of safety , the hospital . 2 kids with bronchitis !!!!!!!! and me as well .

If your son has a phlegmy cough and is congested, I always put VIX on the bottom of my kids feet, plug in a vaporizer in their room along with a plug in vaporizer. I also stay away from milk which causes the cough to produce more phlegm. Try juice and water mixed or just water if your son will drink. But be sure to give your son the entire dosage of medicine prescribed. Sometimes it takes a while for the medicine to work.

If money is no object, I would absolutely say that a cruise is the best vacation! Pick a place that you really want to visit -- like Alaska -- and sign up for a week long cruise. All those kids will get to be on their own and the parents will get to relax and everyone will have a fantastic time! You can spend as much or as little time together as you want and you can meet new people if you choose to. You can see beautiful sights and relax as well. What a great vacation!

• Me

Lying down normally makes my little one's cough and stuffy nose worse. Try to elevate his head, slanted incline. I have slept many nights in our recliner with my little one on my chest. You can also put him in bed with you and slant him up on blankets and pillows. At 13 months he probably doesn't lay still so cuddling with him while he falls asleep will calm him and make going to sleep easier. Putting vicks baby rub on his feet actually worked better than on his chest. I know this sounds weird but someone told me about this and it did work. A humidifier also helps. When the air is dryer it makes the stuffiness and cough worse. Try to hold off on milk because it doesn't help with the mucous. Give him plenty of fluids such as gatorade or water. Fluids help loosen the mucous. Good luck and I hope he feels better.

Source(s): Mommy of a cutie.

well a cough is good. You may want to try to sit in the bathroom and turn on a hot shower to get him to be unstuffed. Colds last for a little while it won't go away over night. Continue to use the vicks at night to loosen it up along with the hot mist.

If it's just a cold/congestion, you're just going to have to let it take it's course. medicine helps a little but with the cold you have to wait it out and try to make him comfortable. For my girl I would flush her nose with a bulb saringe and Saline once or twice a day to help clear out the snot. It'll pass though.

• Take him a warm shower and rub Vick's all over his chest and back then they said its good to put Vick's under there feet and put there socks back on. Then put him right to bed after he has taken his medicine! Take him to see his Doctor first thing tomorrow as well!

there are nor medicine that cure colds but there are ways to make it better. first using saline drops in his nose might help with post nasal drip later on also- take him the the bathroom with a very hot shower running ( not with him in it) or a warm bath.

i forgot about having him sleep elevated