jejos asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 decade ago

Conducting a survey for a school project: What is your view on embryonic stem cell research?

Embryonic stem cell research is an area of extremely controversial debate. Stem cells show promise to solving many diseases including Parkinson's disease and heart problems. Scientists obtain the stem cells from a 5 day old blastocyst (collection of cells about the size of a pinhead). The stem cells can be introduced to broken down areas of the body and they will change into the cells necessary to fix the area. Stem cells can be taken from adults as well as blastocysts, but when they are taken from adults they can only change into the types of cells where they came from (only 5 types). Right to life activists are against the research, because in order to obtain the stem cells a potential life must be destroyed. People in favor of the research state that the research will benefit millions of people as opposed to the one life. Also, the eggs they receive for the research are leftovers from fertility clinics that would be incinerated anyway.

I'm conducting a survey on personal views on embryonic stem cell research, what do you believe?

Favorite Answer

I am against embryonic stem cell research, but for adult stem cell research. My view is not based on "right to life" or ethics but simply practicality. Adult stem cell research has produced tangible clinical benefits and actual patients have benefited already. Embryonic stem cell research is years and years away from even starting a clinical trial and not one patient has benefited. If you inject an embryonic stem cell into a human patient...... it will form a tumor. Not to mention that there are so many people against ESC research in any form. So much money and people's lives could be saved if we concentrated on what is ethically acceptable to many people and what we know works right now: adult stem cell research.

I would just like to point out though, that the whole "destroying a potential life for an embryonic stem cell" is a moot point. Researchers have now found ways to reverse engineer embryonic stem cells without destroying embryos.

I've never really been against abortion or stem cell research. I guess I believe abortion is wrong I just think people should have the ability to make the choice for themselves. As for stem cell research, I support it but I think the fetuses should be donated instead of sold so that people dont have motivation to get abortions thin king they can get money for it. I mean if the fetues is dead you might as well put it too good use and possible help others.

I think stem cell research is good... and necessary! People think it's murder, but I don't think that embryos are really life. These are not partially formed babies with arms and legs, they are tiny collections of cells that will never be anything more because they will never be implanted into a woman's body and have the chance to grow! I think using unneeded embryos for stem cell research is much better than just freezing them so they can sit for eternity!

I don't mind it, to be honest. I mean, look at Michael J. Fox and other wonderful, amazing people who have had Parkinson's and other diseases which could be greatly hepled by embryonic stem cell research. Their lives could be saved or at least GREATLY improved, and stem cells can contribute to the CURES of many diseases as well. You don't have to look far to find someone affected by some very common, yet still very awful, diseases. E.g. some cancers, Parksinson's, some genetic disorders, etc...

• Sunny

I think abortion is wrong and view embryonic stem cell research as killing a potential baby-it has already been conceived. I feel like there has been a lot of progress on adult stem cell research and it should continue there for now.

I'm in support of stem cell research. You can obtain stem cells from the umbilical cord of a baby just born as well though can't you?

• Helena

i'm for it.

those cells are the size fo a pinhead. they are nothing but cells at that point.

i don't believe it is a potential life because it would never be implanted into a women's body, which means it would never become a person. it would remain just a bunch of cells.

~Helena

I don't think that human fetuses should be used for stem cell research. Now, I do think that stem cells from animals should be used, as well as dying patients in hospitals, with consent of course.

I don't believe in killing for research unless it's an animal or the person is giving consent but if it will help to better maintain life for humans, go for it