Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

What is the best way to cook horse meat?

I wanted to know what is the best way to clean out the horse and preparing the meat. What part of the horse has the best flavor.

Favorite Answer

How to Cook Horse

By eHow Food & Drink Editor

Rate: (6 Ratings)

Horse may not seem like the most appetizing meat to cook, but it has been eaten all over the world for centuries. Horsemeat has been found to have up to 40 percent fewer calories and 50 percent more protein than the leanest beef. Though the taste is different than other meat, if you cook horse correctly you'll find a tender and delicate meat that is great to eat.

Email Send to Phone Print ArticleAdd to Favorites Flag Article

InstructionsDifficulty: Moderate

Step1Keep the horsemeat in correct conditions. The properties of horsemeat make it much more susceptible than beef to spoiling quickly. Keep horsemeat refrigerated for up to a week and, for longer periods of time, keep the meat in the freezer so that it's ready and safe to cook.

Step2Decide how you want the meet. Horse can be ground or chopped into steaks, like most other meats. Butcher the meat so you can cook the horse in a variety of ways to make the dining experience rich and diverse.

Step3Cook ground horsemeat to the USDA's recommended temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit or until the juices of the meat are clear and unclouded. For steaks, cook the meat between 145 and 170 degrees depending on whether you want the meat medium rare or well done. For tougher cuts, you should braise the meat.

Step4Use horsemeat recipes. There are many recipes designed specifically for horsemeat, from places as far flung as Italy and South America. Refer to recipes on websites like BackWoodsHome.com to find some excellent recipes that call for a medley of vegetables and spices to create a tasty dish of horse meat.

Step5Inform all your dining guests of the meat. No one likes a food ambush, especially when it comes to exotic or less-frequently eaten meats. So before you cook or serve horse, make sure you let everyone at the table know what they're in for. This will save you a lot of trouble while allowing you to enjoy the meal.

• ewers

How To Cook Horse Meat

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): cook horse meat: https://biturl.im/3iOSy
  • Linda

Not only is it legal, it is actually preferred over other meats in some parts of the world. I cooked it several years ago. It was actually sold in specialty shops in Milwaukee. Apparently you can't sell it in the same store that beef is sold. The shop had horse, venison & goat as I recall. We had several nice steaks & I grilled them as I would beef steak. The first batch was pretty tough. Tried again the next weekend using a ginger/cola marinade. Very good. Drier than beef so the marinade & a low grill was the answer. I did a quick char then a very slow grill until I had a medium pink center. My wife was unaware of what she was eating & thought it was beef. Tastes much the same as beef but smells different when it is cooking. Not bad, just different. We also used ground horse in Chili, meatloaf, sloppy joe etc. None of my friends could distinguish the ground horse from ground beef.

• Alyce

Horse replaces beef in just about every recipe. It is slightly sweeter than beef. Many counties eat horse (except North America, of course) but particularly the Swiss and the French.

Horse meat is available in many cuts similar to beef. Since it isn't as popular, you probably are restricted in what you can get at your local butcher, though.

Here is a website with horse meat recipes: http://www.metro.ca/recettes/46/horse-meat.en.html

• Russ

The original Sauerbraten was horse meat.

Interestingly, the prejudice against horse meat was politically inspired. Horses were considered too valuable in battle to be eaten, and their consumption was proscribed by the Vatican.

According to my research, there are some areas in France where horse meat is still regularly consumed.

I'll keep using eye of round for my sauerbraten, though.

Make Over 200 Juicy, Mouth-Watering Paleo Recipes You've NEVER Seen or Tasted Before?