Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

It is only a theory. Not a law.?

I'm sick of people using the pythagorean THEOREM as if it was a fact. The word theory is even in the name. It is a guess.

The only way to prove it is if you used every number combination. And since there are infinite numbers there is no way of proving it. And every calculation used with it is just a coincidence.

Do mathematicians even use the Holy Cook Book of Flying Spaghetti when teaching math?

I propose we teach a different theory along side the Pythagorean theorem. It is called 'intelligent triangles'. How else can a triangle know how long the hypotenuse is unless it was intelligent?

P.S. I'm pretty sure Kansas will listen to my theory.

How come only the first three people read my entire question?

@d+b: You can use this.

@everybody who is smart enough to read a dictionary to know the difference between theory, law, and theorem: why don't you look up satire and parody and joke while you're at it.

I can't believe any of you took me seriously even when I mentioned "Holy Cook Book of Flying Spaghetti"

You got to be kidding me.

• Best Answer

You and I definitely have something in common. We have to say "You got to be kidding me" when people don't get our sarcasm. I'm not certain if it's because sarcasm doesn't translate well, because people are idiots, or both.

I mentioned a similar question in the past and was amazed by how many people were clueless and responded with insults instead of enjoying the intelligent and sarcasm laced question. I'm glad to know there are others out there.

• Jim W

Why do people insist on demonstrating to the world their ignorance? There are already branches of mathematics being taught for which the Pythagorean Theorem does not hold. They are called non-Euclidean geometries. It is not necessary for you to create that which already exists.

Many people will listen to your theory. Equally ignorant people may even accept it as fact. But, people who educate themselves before they spout off will always see it for what it is: an ignorant attempt to attack that which you clearly do not understand.

It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

• Gary B

You have confused THEORY and THEOREM. The two DO NOT mean the same thing!

THEORY

"1) A SPECULATIVE idea or plan as to how something might be done

2) A formulation of apparent relationships or underlying principles of certain observed phenomena WHICH HAS BEEN VERIFIED TO SOME DEGREE"

THEORUM:

"A proposition that is not self-evident but that can be proved from accepted premises and SO IS ESTABLISHED AS A LAW OR PRINCIPLE."

Note that a THEORY has a little bit of truth in it. It is not an UNPROVEN idea, but an idea with only SOME proof. It may later be proven to be false, when observation of a larger number of subejcts is complete.

A THEOREM is an idea that is so obvious that it is accept as fact.

It is my THEOREM that you should learn to use a dictionary before you write stements like this.

only triangles on a plane are intelligent... triangles on a sphere, for example, almost never get the hypotenuse right ... your theory must allow for unintelligent triangles too!

Seems like the National Academy of Science disagrees.

"In science, a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, and tested hypotheses. The contention that evolution should be taught as "theory, not as fact" confuses the common use of these words through the accumulation of evidence. Rather, theories are the end points of science. They are understandings that develop from extensive observation, experimentation, and creative reflection. They incorporate a large body of scientific facts, laws, tested hypotheses, and logical inferences."

(Science and Creationism: A View from the National Academy of Sciences, 2nd Ed. (1999), pg. 2)

WTF?

Pothagorean theorem is a mathematical eqation to find...Idk, something to do with triangles (didn't pay attention in math), how is a mathematical equation false, and what bearing would it have on your life if it is false?

The problem is with those who fail to understand what the word "theory" means when used in mathematics or science.

It most certainly does NOT mean a guess.

http://wilstar.com/theories.htm

thats a good analogy with the pythagorean theorem, ill have to use it if your ok with it.

gold star!

Trying to teach religious people science is like trying to whip a dead dog

Score. A gold star for you.