What ice hockey goalie pads should I get?

What ice hockey goalie pads should i get?

i'm a butterfly goalie and my pads are too small so im always leaving my 5 hole open. i need new pads, and willing to spend nothing over $600 CAD. I was thinking vaughn v3 (how much are those, v3's), the TPS Summit 6, or just anything u guys recommened. I heard RBK's rip down by the boot easily, and NikeBauer's are very stiff. Is that true.

All help is appreciated thx

All help is appreciated thx

Also what goalie sticks are good for about $50 to $90CAD

• Favorite Answer

I'd recommend taking a look at Simmons (just google Don Simmons). They have a model that is designed around the Velocity3, and another model designed after the RBK Premier Series.

$600 CAD...even Simmons (which are going to be substantially cheaper than Vaughn or RBK/TPS) won't be an option.

You could also try Hockey Geeks; they resell pro returns (i.e. pads get ordered for a guy who either doesn't need them or gets traded; i.e. you might find Gerber's Ottawa colours or LeClaire in CBJ colours) on the cheap.

V3's...$600 is nowhere close.

I had a pair of Simmons pads and I mostly use a pair of Epic8000s (Vaughn) and have had no problems with wear on either.

If $600 CAD is a hard number you could also look at ebay for used, or go through GEW or GSBB to see what they have used.

If you're talking american money that is doable but canadian not so easy, if it's american I would try each set on but the v3's in my opinion would be the best option only because most goalie's either use rbk or vaughn with most using vaughn's as it closes the five hole the best and has the best flexibility as it has 2 knee breaks almost like rbk's turco breaks, after you have made this choice i would get you pad size (34" for example) and then get a +1 or +2 extension if your five hole is not completely covered,

As for goalie sticks I would go with RBK's or Bauers as they are the 2 most popular, the best (I can't remember the word, stamina) as they do not break as easily and they come at the best price.

Hope this helps and good luck with your goaltending.

In that price range I would consider SIMMONS or ITECH, and as far as sticks go either a Sherwood 9950 or Heaton 10 is your best bet.

RBK 7K is ok if you get a graphite reinforced model and the right lie. (which might also be part of your problem)

If price is truly an issue, let me know, I received a discount code for some NikeBauer goalie gear from hockeygiant in my e-mail. Aside from breezers I have no experience with their pads but their goalie sticks (I had a Bauer Vapor 10) really suc*ked I.H.M.O.

Source(s): Personal experience and input from others. I have been playing goalie for over 6 years. My personal set-up: Itech helmet, Vaughn c/a, Brian's glove and blocker, Vaughn cup, Bauer breezers, Franklin kickers (haven't switched to 11' yet) CCM skates, Koho stick
  • ?

I think Tex has some good advice: check out simmons. Its goalie gear fr goalies by goalies... its better than the NHL endorsement mass produced gear. If you can go there, they are very knowledgeable there too, they will help you get the right size. I got my first new pair of pads there 12 years ago and I wouldn't go anywhere else. You can try on all the pads in the place to try em out...

You can also check craigslist in yr area fr used pads. I would recommend used pads, b/c as someone who has broken in pads before I'll tell yah, its a wicked workout.

bring yr skates to try pads on to get the right fit.

All Rbk pads suck.

For the stick, Id get the Warrior Messiah. It is a little out of your price range. The Warrior Fortress is another great stick, but cheaper. And, assuming you're a senior size pad, I would get these RBK pads. They are great pads and pretty cheap. they also have a bunch of colors. Theyre pretty durable too

http://goaliemonkey.com/rbk-goalie-leg-pads-8k-tur...

Otherwise, i would get those TPS Summits.

well i would suggest RBK doesn't sound like u want them, umm go with don simmons or itech their usually pretty good.